Payback Hurts- Chapter 12: You Are My Friend, Right?

OK, so I know that the last chapter was a little... Ugh! But I have a big plan y'all will love! So, please... Stay with me on this. :)

******************************************************************************************

Did she just...? It can't be. Victor is mine; he can't be hers! And she has Alvin... She can't have both of them! That's not fair! I felt tears rush to my eyes. Je'anna got up and slowly walked over to Victor, but she didn't get too far away from Alvin. He got up and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her back to him and keeping her away from Victor. Victor took notice of Alvin's actions, growling.

"She's mine," Alvin said, staring back at Victor. Challenging him, this is something that Alvin would never do, but seeing Victor as a threat was inevitable over your mate. I didn't want this to get out of hand or go where it didn't need to, but the thought of me losing Victor was too much. I don't want to lose him, but he was never mine, to begin with, was he. I knew that one day he'd find his mate, but I took a chance and allowed love into my life. Sadly, I never prepared myself for what to do when it happened.

"Stay calm you guys," I whispered, my volume was lower, but my power was pouring through my skin. It made that whisper just enough to get all of the attention on me. "There's no need to fight about this, let's just...." My voice trailed off. No no no, this can't be happening...

"Cass, are you crying?" Je'Anna asked, looking concerned and curious. I smiled at her, wiping my tears away. I don't know what to do. Stand and claim Victor for myself and hurt my both my best friend and Victor? Now that he knows his mate and have an immediate bond with her, it'll always draw them to one another as long as one doesn't reject the other. 

I shook my head, nearly giving myself away. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just so happy for you," I said and looked at Alvin and then at Victor. Victor, the man who held my heart like a precious flower for the past two years. Victor, the man that I wanted to spend my life with. Victor, the handsome brown-eyed man, who was looking at me as if he had noticed my existence for the first time since he got here. "For all of you." His eye twinkled with confusion and part desperation; it's not like I've been a good girlfriend lately away. I looked away, unable to hold his gaze any longer. I wanted him, but he wasn't mine anymore. The thought of losing him was unbearable; I had to leave. "I... just remembered my..." I pointed to the back door that I was edging towards. "Shift, I'll see you later." I dashed out of there, using my werewolf speed to dodge any questions or comments came my way about leaving. I needed to think; I began running through the field to the pack house.

"Cassie!" I turned around, I see the man that I loved but couldn't have. 

Victor.

Damn, he was fast. He was an Alpha...

"I have to go, Victor." I didn't want him to touch me because I know once he did, I would lose it. I dodged his grab, please don't miss your chance of happiness for me Vic... I couldn't live with myself if you did.

"No! You're not running away from me!"

I looked up at him, anger along with agony pulsed through me. How could it be so hard to understand why? Even if it's odd that Je'Anna has two mates, the Moon Goddess still planned everything for a reason. Who am I to interfere? But why can't I have someone?

"Do you think I want to stay here now?!" I nearly shouted at him, sending the anger and agony I felt pulse through my veins, out there my pores, into the air. I wanted him to feel threatened; maybe he'd leave me alone. He looked at me with shock from my sudden outburst. "Every time I open my heart up to love someone, it gets crushed! First, with Dylan. Now, with you."

"I'm not Dylan!" He shouted back, his power towering over mine, I did everything I could not to back down, but I did look away.

"No, you're not Dylan. You have your mate in there, and you need her.... you need to be with her." I choked out the last part, it hurt, but it was true. He needed her, and she needed him. The cold reality hit me like a bucket of ice water.