Chapter Twenty

I stood with my mother outside the mansion when she asked?
"Son, where is the lady you said you were coming with?"
"Something came up so she couldn't make it"
"Something more important than meeting your family?"
"Mum please don't start"
"Start what? Am serious she must know how important family is to you"

It was then that we saw a black car pull in. I could tell it was the driver from work but I couldn't clearly see who it was that sat in the back.
"Now who could that be?" My mother asked
"George, but he told me that he wouldn't make it today."

The car drove to to the other side of the mansion and a few minutes later I saw Timothy leading Cindy to where we were. My heart raced and a smile formed on my face.
"She came" I said, not realizing that I was loud enough cause my mother turned to face me and asked;
"Is that the lady?"
"Yes that's her, let me fetch her. Please excuse me"

I went up to meet Cindy and welcome her.
"Hai Frank, am really.."
"Hey this is not the time for that," I interupted just before she could finish her sentence.
"The good thing is that you're here. Where's your laggage?"
"I didn't come with any"
Alright, am so glad that you're here. Let's go meet my mother."
We walked up to my mother and I made the introductions. I knew mum wasn't going to go so easy on Cindy. Not that she was mean or anything like that, she was just being mum that's all.

We walked into the Mansion and I introduced her to eveyone else. Grace immediately embraced her into a hug and my dad as well, she won him over. I was so glad to see her interaction with the two, my only worry was that mum was going to intimidate her a little. After a few hours of talking and getting to know each other, I decided it was now time for Cindy and I to have some time to ourselves. Besides we needed to talk, I needed to know what changed her mind.
We excused ourselves and walked to the golf coast. We sat down and I turned to her so that we could talk.

"Am so glad that you could make it"
"Me too, I am so sorry that I turned down your invitation. It's just that I've never really felt comfortable around family get togethers. I didn't know what to expect so I panicked."

"What changed your mind then?"
"I realised that this event is very important to you and I must look at with the same kind of value. Jean made me realise that you've always been there for me and I needed to do the same as well. I was so scared before I came and When I got here but I can now see that your family is really nice and that there's no need to be scared."

"Baby you know I have always told you that you can tell me anything and I see no reason as to why you failed to be honest with me in the first place. I want to be part of each and everything that concerns you."

"I know and am really sorry. I just didn't want to disappoint you cause I know how much this is important to you."

"Listen, " as I held on to both her hands trying to give her assurance.
"Never make it about disappointing me, all I want is to be part of your life in every way possible. I love you and am concerned whenever you don't seem to be fine. I want you to know that you can trust me. "

"I love you too Sweetheart and thanks for being there for me all the time."
She threw her arms around my neck and I pulled her into a hug.

"I noticed that you don't have any laggage on you. Am guessing am to blame because I didn't tell you that we're staying here for the weekend. But that shouldn't worry you, we'll just go over into town and get you a few things."