I

|Reynolds and Beckman|

I readjusted my position, as I flipped through what seemed like a never ending file on a potential client.

Using the word "potential" loosely, there was no way a person with a record this extensive would get off with a slap on the wrist.

Don't get me wrong I loved a challenge, but taking this case would be pointless. They'd have no choice but to plea and I'd basically be handling the win to the opposing firm. 

I let out a deep sigh scanning over the last page, before closing the Manila folder and chucking it into the trash.

I picked up my work phone and paged Marissa, twirling the excess cord with my index finger.

"Yes Mrs.Lattimore?" My assistants voice chimed.

I smiled, she was always so chipper—so full of life. Which is why I'd miss her dearly, when she's done with her internship.

"Marissa, could you let the Johnson family know that I will not be taking their case?"

"Yes, of course Mrs.Lattimore I'll let them know right away!"

I shook my head.

"Marissa how many times do I have to tell you, you can call me Syn?"

"I know—I just think a woman of your stature should be addressed properly."

I rolled my eyes playfully.

"I bleed just like the next woman, I'm no better than anyone else."

"Yes but you're an idol—my idol, You're a 26 year old black woman, one of the only two black lawyers in the firm. You're not only successful but established, you didn't just do the bare minimum to get where you are. You actually put in the work while pathing the way for more young black women. I.E me!"

"Marissa—"

"I mean you took me in with just a dream and you're turning it into a reality for me. I just have so much respect for you, that's all."

I smiled warmly, even being at the top, I never get the recognition I truly deserve.

"Thank you Marissa! Do I have any messages, before I step out for break?"

"Yes—One second." She paused.

"Okay so you have two messages, one from Mr. Lattimore. He said you two have reservations at 9 with your in laws."