Chapter 4: In that corner

Lucas already planned out his life and he always has a reason for everything he does.

He's taking up chemistry as his major right now and after that he'll go to med school. He won't have a hard time since he was born smart, and not only that he's also dedicated to it as well. After that he'll become a doctor to help out with their family hospital.

If you ask him if he wants to become a doctor, he's also not quite sure, he's not particularly interested in anything. He liked the sciences but he can probably take any other course as well. But if there is one thing he's sure of, he wants to repay the parents that took him in and raised him since he was young even though they are not blood related.

From what he's told, his mother was a single parent with no relatives. She died giving birth at their hospital and he was adopted by the hospital director and his wife who couldn't conceive their own baby.

Auntie, Uncle and Grandma treated him as their own and he had a happy life so far because of them. That's why it's his turn now.

Without wasting time, he focused on his studies and helped around the hospital, he didn't even join any club, not that he's actually interested to join one. He finds it tiring and unnecessary to socialize and he's already satisfied with the companions he currently have - one is a quiet man and another one who is noisy and keeps bothering him.

Still, they are good friends and his university days went on with having them comfortably around. Soon, a semester flew by and everything has been going well, like too well that it's easy for him.

Classes will start next week so Lucas came back to his place from home. It's late at night and he's walking the streets to grab something from the convenience store since his motorbike is away for maintenance.

While walking back to his apartment, he passed by a sign in front of a shop.

Hiring: Barista

Must be 18 years old

No prior experience needed

Inquire inside

If he's not mistaken, he's been in this cafe once before and got coffee to go that he didn't like that's why he never came back. 'Should he?' He has a lot of free time and he can make coffee. It's something that he drinks everyday so he's gotten rather especially good at it.

And he could also earn his own money. 'My parents' anniversary is near, maybe I could buy them a gift I personally earned.'

After a brief moment of hesitation, he entered and inquired.

He was immediately hired (for obvious reasons).

It's been a week now since he started working, after three days he finally memorized the drinks and operations in the store with quick training. The work environment is not hectic as well and the manager/owner of the store is especially kind, like too kind for comfort.

"Lucas-kun~ You are doing a great job. If you need help in anything don't hesitate to call me, okay?" the old man around his 50s winked at him as he strutted to the back door.

'He sure is jolly again today. That uncle never ran out of energy.'

Lucas has no trouble with the workload, he is an efficient worker, however he found that dealing with the customers more tiring than the actual work itself.

And the reason is... for the past week, a lot of customers are unnecessarily friendly and stalling their time ordering that always tested his patience.

They would ask for recommendations, then that would escalate to asking him his favorite, then his type, then asking him out. Some would manage to sleep their numbers in a paper or a tissue, and some would stutter a lot in front of him, some with suppressed fangirling, giving him a harder time. The brave ones would compliment his looks, he gets a lot in a single day that his ears are practically ringing.