Chapter 2: Take it or Leave it

"Here you go Athy, we bought this for you as a precaution next time but I really hope this won't happen again," Helena handed Athy a whistle and a can of pepper spray.

"Don't go home alone so late. If you do- " she went reprimand mode on like a mom, even Jarvis couldn't ask her to tone it down. But she understands where their excessive concern comes from.

After she injured herself last night and got taken home by a not so stranger man, she left them a message about what happened. This morning, they immediately came to pick her up from her place and brought her to a clinic for first aid. Fortunately, it's just a sprain and she'll get better with a few weeks rest.

"-you should've taken a cab instead. Why did you walk in that condition?"

'Oh, why didn't I think of that?'

"I thought it was a waste since it's near. I managed to make it anyway," she nervously excused. She purposely didn't tell them the part where she got taken home by a stranger because she'll surely get in more trouble. And it's half truth anyway, she did walk halfway.

"Forgive me this time please. I promise I'll be more careful and vigilant," Athy clasped her hands together in a plea.

The two sighed, knowing that their friend prefers doing things by herself. They love that part of her, being independent, headstrong and sure, however they wished she relied on them more, or other people.

"Good thing you only ended up with a sprained ankle," Jarvis said.

Athy looked at her ankle who is now bandaged properly. The ice pack could only help a little last night and she endured the pain until she slept. Not only that, she's also in crutches so she won't be able to attend dance practice for a while.

"It's the weekend so don't go out, okay? Just order takeout and don't forget to take your meds," Helena said, the two finished their food and prepared to leave.

"Yes, yes," Athy replied while still chewing pancakes in her mouth. It's lunch time now but since they had to go to the hospital, they only had breakfast now and she was really hungry.

"We'll pick you up on Monday for school, rest up for today," Jarvis said in a reminder.

Athy swallowed her food and chugged her milk, "Thank you guys. What would I do without you two?" Athy sincerely smiled in gratitude. Her friends smiled back in relief as they waved goodbye.

The doors closed with a soft thud and Athy plopped herself into her bed.

' I really did it this time.'

She can't believe she lost track of time and stayed there for 5 hours straight.

And if only she wasn't being stupid and got a cab, or maybe if she had her own car, this wouldn't happen and she won't be troubling Jarvis to drive and pick her up.

But she doesn't even have a license even though she knows how to drive because of Jennette. Before they turned 18, they took driving lessons together and were supposed to be given a car right after that. But Jennette failed the test and panicked so much that Claude decided that she shouldn't drive for her own safety.

'I have nothing to do with her not learning to drive, but that invertebrate dragged me with her not getting a license!' She hit the pillows in frustration.

'A car.. A motorbike, how nice,' she remembered last night's events and felt herself heat up.

Fanning her face, she checked her phone and scrolled through messages wishing her to get well. Right now, she would be enjoying her time hanging out in Lily's flower shop, and they'll have dinner together with Lily's home cooked meal. 'She must be worried about me.'