61: Unspoken Decisions

I stared at Logan, wishing I could go back in time. The dark look in his eyes was not what I had wanted, especially not this night. What had happened to showing me the meaning of simple? And the date I had imagined taking place in my head. . . well, that was obviously where it was going to stay. My words however managed to find their way from my mouth. “Even knowing you’re an asshole,” I whispered, “you manage to surprise me.”

“I guess we’re all full of surprises,” Logan shot back.

My eyes raked his face. They danced over his handsome features, which were all in a hardened line as he glared at me. “Will you stop speaking in code?” I asked, exasperated. This was not what I’d wanted.

“I guess you’re not smarter than you look after all.”

“That’s enough,” a voice rang out behind me, and I turned to see Preston. He stood, arms crossed over his broad chest, a piercing gaze directed at Logan.

Logan’s smirk was cruel as he returned Preston’s gaze. “Prince Charming to the rescue,” he spat, “who would have guessed it?”

Preston chose to ignore this comment, not letting so much as a reaction pass over his face. Instead he stayed glued in place, his gaze doing the same. “Don’t take this out on her,” he warned, giving a slow shake of his head. His hazel eyes took on a hard look I’d only seen once before; when he was warning me about Logan all that time ago.

“Right, wouldn’t want to ruin your birthday, now would we?”

I blinked into Logan’s blue eyes. His sarcastic tone didn’t escape me. “You’re kidding me,” I breathed as I took in his sour expression, “this can’t be about it being my birthday?” I was met with silence, as both boys stared at me, not saying a word. Logan’s gaze was cold and stubborn, and I didn’t even want to turn to see what Preston’s eyes would hold. “Is it?” I demanded to know.

“Kara-“

“No,” I cut Preston short, shooting him a silencing look, “I want to know what the hell this is all about.”

Across from me Logan relaxed back onto the bed, taking a seat as though about to watch a movie. He looked relaxed and graceful as he rolled his shoulders, reaching into his pocket for a pack of cigarettes the moment he was done. “Go ahead, tell her,” he said casually, lighting up his cancer stick.

The words struck terror into my heart, and my gaze found Preston in an instant. The last time I’d heard those words from Logan I’d heard some bad news. Granted it helped me to break up with Dylan, but it was bad news nonetheless. I’d been played and had unknowingly followed along every step of the way. But hearing these words now, seeing Logan’s air of nonchalance and the sudden worry that etched itself into Preston’s features made me feel like shrinking away. I read the look on Preston’s face; dread. It was all I could take, and I instead turned my eyes to Logan. “Why don’t you tell me?”