29: Showing Interest

A little smile came to Maver’s face as he passed the salt across the table towards where Logan sat. “She asked me out.”

“What did you say?” I questioned, my eyes lingering on him as he shoveled a forkful of lasagna into his mouth.

It was almost surreal with how normal of a dinner it was. I’d cooked lasagna as per Logan’s request. Okay; as per his orders. I’d even gone as far as setting the table. Then, since I was still waiting for the food to finish cooking, I went the extra mile and prepared some green beans. To top it off we were all sitting at the kitchen table sharing in a meal together. Weird, I know right?

“That I needed some time to think.”

“Why?” Logan spoke up, his voice filling the kitchen. “I thought you were digging her?”

Maver shrugged. “I guess. But the whole dating thing is a bit much.”

“What are you scared of?”

“Nothing,” he mumbled, shoving another forkful of food into his mouth before swallowing and adding, “why?”

“Do you like the girl?”

“Well yeah-“ Maver started but Logan cut him short with another question.

“Then why not?” His question surprised me and I looked to him, my eyes landing on his deep black hair that hid his eyes from my sight. “You like someone then you may as well date them. It’s not like you’re getting married or anything.”

I felt no need to say anything seeing as I wasn’t quite a part of the brother bonding moment that was going on. If you could really call it that. “Because, I kinda like this other girl,” Maver admitted through a mouthful of food.

I was too busy watching Logan to scold him. Luckily Logan hadn’t realized that I’d turned my eyes to him. As he rose his fourth beer to his lips and took a big swig I watched him swallow; his adam’s apple bobbing slightly. “What’s holding you back from her then?” Logan asked, setting his beer can down by the others that sat in a row before him. Okay, so minus the can of beers it was a normal meal.

“I don’t know what she feels about me. Girls are so complicated. I think I know then next BANG” he stabbed his fork forcefully into the food on his plate, gazing up towards me.  I turned my eyes to his instantly, my fingers digging into my knee a little as I gripped it out of embarrassment. Catching me staring at his brother was definitely something that would cause an interrogation the moment we were alone.

“Tell her you like her,” Logan said in an offhand manner, “it’s easy.”

“What if she doesn’t feel the same?” his brother asked, peeling his eyes from me to shot a darting look to Logan.

“I like a girl I let her know,” he responded, pausing to take a drink of beer. “Tell her she’s cute or something to start her off. She responds well to compliments then you know she’s a little interested.”