49: Just What Are You Looking For?

Cool air rushed towards me as Logan shoved through the large white school doors and into the cool air. I didn't have any choice but to follow, being dragged along my his tight grip on my hand. He pulled me along for a moment, unaware of my legs prickling in pain at the long strides I was forced to use in order to keep up. It didn't last long however.

Soon Logan was dropping my hand as though it were on fire, pulling his own away at a lightening fast speed. I couldn't keep my heart from tightening as I grasped my sore hand to  my chest, power walking to keep up with his tense form. Everything from the way his back muscles were flexing to how savagely he dug his hand into his pocket made me worry that much more. I'd upset him, it was glaringly obvious.

He withdrew his hand, a carton of smokes in his hold. With a glance inside, he crumple it in his grasp, tossing the empty box off to the side. It landed near my feet, making me wince, a small string of profanities rolling out of his mouth. 

If he had thought I hadn't given up on Lucas before, he definitely wouldn't believe as such now.

What he did or didn't believe didn't matter however. All that did was what I knew, and what I knew now was I wasn't interested in Coach Matthers. He'd been right; I wouldn't be able to handle the scandal that would come with dating the assistant coach. But it was more than that. The moment he'd kissed me it had felt so wrong. 

Granted, there was the sad truth I had a boyfriend, but that wasn't it. It just felt like he kissed me because he felt he needed to, not because he wanted to. His lips felt awkward on mine, like he was proving a point. True, he had been proving a point, but not the one he wanted to prove. All it accomplished was making me realize that I didn't really know him all that well. I hadn't even known how to respond to it. 

At least I did know I had to tell Dylan about the kiss. It wasn't something I could try to just sweep under the rug and hide away. Sure, I'd leave out the details, but I'd let him know the jist of it. Dylan would do the same for me, or so I hoped. I didn't take him as the type to wait for someone else to tell me about it. Just like I wouldn't let him hear it from the only other witness; Logan.

Just wonderful, I realized suddenly, now Logan would think I was some sort of cheater. The fact I was dating Dylan was now out of the bag, that much was certain. But exactly how much Logan had seen - or heard for that matter - I had no clue. For all I knew he could have only seen the kiss and heard the last bit, thinking I was going out of my way to have a talk with him alone. 

"Logan," I managed to get out his name, my gut yelling at me to keep quiet. 

He turned his head to look back at me, his eyes an icy shade of blue I was more than accustomed to receiving by now. "What?" he snapped, his jaw tightening as his lips formed a tight line. 

"Can we slow down?" I asked, my eyes unable to meet his. Instead I focused the cracked pavement we'd come to a stop on. Small blades of grass peaked through one of the cracks, granting me something to focus on. I was mildly surprised Logan's bad mood hadn't killed all living things in a five foot radius. "I can't keep up."

His reply was a grunt, and with it he was off and walking. I looked up, following after his retreating form. Fortunately he'd slowed his pace, shooting a glance back towards me to make sure I wasn't falling behind. I wasn't, and he returned his gaze instead to Preston's sleek car.