34: Hot N Cold

The odd sensation of swaying slowly woke me from my sleep. As soon as it did it almost lulled me right back. That was until the realization I’d fallen asleep in the first place caused my eyes to snap open. The moment I did this I wished I hadn’t.

“Ah good, you’re awake,” Logan greeted as he gave a small smirk down towards me. “You were passed the fuck out.”

“Where-“

“I didn’t want to wake you up,” he cut me off, turning the corner tightly. “You talk in your sleep you know.”

I ignored this and instead looked around at the dirty peeling paint of the hallway we were walking down. Rather, the hallway he was walking down. My legs weren’t moving other than a gentle sway as they hung there. “I’m awake now. Put me down I can walk.”

For a moment he stared down at me as though honestly considering it. This passed as quickly as it came, soon replaced by a big grin. “And miss carrying you over the threshold? Never.”

I rolled my eyes at his teasing and set my hands against his chest to try and push my way out. “Oh come on,” I groaned. We both already knew he was stronger than me. He’d had no problem proving it in the past. Rubbing it in  my face seemed to be the plan as he instead held my body closer to his chest, nearly breaking my ribcage in the process.

“We’re almost there princess,” he teased, turning sideways to scoot through the door into his apartment. We passed through and he paused a few steps into the room. “Could you be a doll and close that for me? I would, but sadly my arms are full.”

I scoffed as my brows furrowed angrily. This was definitely not something I’d wanted to wake up to. Not in a million years. But when he didn’t move an inch I realized I had no choice but to go along with it. “I’m in, you can put me down now,” I insisted as I reached over his arm to push the front door closed as hard as I could manage while being squeezed in his arms. It gave a loud slam as it shut and, had Logan ever heard of art, pictures could have fallen from the wall with how it shook the cheap foundation.

He gave a dramatic sigh before setting me on the ground, moving as slowly as he could mind you. The instant my feet touched the floor I scuttled away from him, smothering down my mess of red curls. I’d fallen asleep in his car on the ride home. Lord knows what I said in my sleep. He was right; I did have a habit of sleep talking. That was the whole reason I had always avoided the whole sleepover scene. Except with Maver of course, but he was beyond used to it. 

I was snapped from the mindless worry as Logan broke the silence of the apartment. “So I take it it’s past your bedtime little one?”

I meant to shoot him a glare but it was interrupted by a yawn that just had to pick the worst moment to rear its head. My hand covered my mouth as I tried to fight it off, my eyes closing as it passed through me. By the time it finished I decided to avoid his eyes and instead nodding. “I’m tired, all right?” I admitted begrudgingly. There was no reason to lie about it. The active hustle and bustle of the races had proven to be a little too much for me.

I’d go again. God would I go again! All of the excitement in the air was contagious! I didn’t even know who I was supposed to be cheering for but that didn’t matter. When the roar of the engines kicked to life it was like everything made sense. You had to get from A to B. You had to beat the other guys to win. It was simple and yet so complicated to master.

Surprisingly Logan dropped his teasing and instead nodded. “Maver’s home. I saw his car outside.”

Taking the hint I scurried off down the hall towards his room. The door was closed and I whipped out my phone for both light and to see the time.  Six in the morning already. No wonder I was tired. I yawned again and pushed open the door as slowly and quietly as I could. I knew that Maver was a heavy sleeper but I didn’t want to take any chances nonetheless.