Chapter 9

Hello lovlies! I present to you, Chapter 9!
Bit of a warning here, toward the end of the chapter a scene of a more sexual nature occurs. So if you have innocent eyes that cannot read such scandalous (it really isn't that scandalous) material then you may want to stop reading about the time the kissing starts. :] 
As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts :] 

Chapter 9 

     “Rory, no!” He shouts, but he’s too late. Five gunshots ring in our ears and cause everyone else to flinch as blood sprays and five bodies drop to the ground. I don’t flinch. I’m not surprised by my action.

Chase however, is.

My eyes seek him out, but he stands, jaw dropped, still. I’ve never seen him looked shocked before. Surprised, sure, but downright shocked? Never. Unable to bear the thought of his expression turning to hate, I walk in the direction Chase came from, not completely sure where I’m going until I see another familiar face.

“Arlo,” I say with a genuine smile when I see him. I should have known that’s how Chase could get here so quickly. Arlo returns my smile, but his is not so genuine. It doesn’t reach his eyes causing the skin around to crinkle tightly in the way it did when I saw him last. I get the distinct feeling he’s disappointed in me. Even so, he wraps me in a hug.

“We’ve been worried about you, girl,” he says into my ear. “Glad you’re safe.”

“You too,” I tell him, honestly glad that he is well and feeling guilty that I hadn’t spared him much thought in the last five months. My only thoughts have been of Chase and my father.

Mostly Chase. The one I’ve missed more than fresh air and the sun, but now I can’t even bring myself to look back at him, though I know he’s close. I can feel his tense presence.

“We need to go,” Chase says full of authority.

Arlo nods in agreement and holds out his hands.

“Grab on everyone, we don’t have much time and you don’t want to be left behind.”

I link my hand with his and smile when Penny does the same with his other hand. Jackson grabs onto Penny and finally, hesitantly, Chase takes my hand. I’m about to say something. An apology? An explanation? I’m not sure. But I feel like something needs to be said. Before I get the chance the world blinks away.

I’ve never traveled like this before and it feels like I’m about to be ripped to shreds, or compressed so tightly that I might disappear. When we come to a stop, I fall to the ground. I’m not the only one. Jackson is in a similar position, hunched over and trying to stop the world from spinning.

Before I have to chance to regain my balance, I’m lifted from the ground and tossed over a shoulder. I’ve been in this position before, but somehow I don’t think this time is about fun. I feel like a child about to be chastised for breaking curfew. Though what I did is far worse than stay out too late.

“Put me down,” I yell at Chase.

“Not a chance in hell,” he says simply and accents his words by slapping my ass.

“Chase,” I squeal. “I can walk, you oaf!” I beat his back. My goal had been to avoid him until he cooled down a bit. Immature, maybe a little. But I hate when he’s upset with me.

“I have no doubt, but I’m still not putting you down.”

And he doesn’t.  Upon coming to terms with that, I take a moment to glance around the place. I had assumed we’d be in Arlo’s home, but obviously, I’m wrong. I’ve never been here before. None of it looks familiar and whatever hall we’re walking down is excessively long. We must be where ever they've been hiding for months.