Chapter 22

Hello Lovely People! Chapter 22 up & a couple days early! Hope you enjoy. 

Chapter 22

“I don’t like this,” I say to Chase.

My morning has been spent ringing my fingers together and pacing around. I don’t feel any more comfortable with this separation than I did yesterday. Or a week ago when it was decided. Let me be upfront in saying that it was so incredibly not my idea to be separated from Chase during the attacks. We’re in this together. Together. That’s supposed to mean side by side, but it evidently, it doesn’t.

I’m a distraction. That’s what Beckett called me when he said I would not be tagging along on the rescue mission. I would be a distraction to Chase, who is playing too crucial a role and needs to be on his top game.

Chase, I think is behind this. He’s not worried about my ability I don’t think. The vampire is worried about my mental state. He doesn’t want to risk my being captured again. Or having a panic attack. Things that would tear him away from his duties. I get that and deep inside, I agree… I guess. But I’m still not comfortable with this.

“It’s going to be ok,” he promises.

“I should be going in with you.”

“We’ve talked about this,” he says with a sigh.

“What if Topher slips up?”

Topher, one of the fae who managed to facilitate my escape and one of only two people who has actually been in the facility, is in charge of Glamouring the whole crew. The whole of the rescue group should remain invisible for the duration of the mission, but it may be necessary for some to take on the role of a guard. Topher has admittedly never pulled off a Glamour that powerful for longer than ten minutes. So best case scenario, they have ten minutes to get in and out. Beckett is sure it can be done as long as Topher doesn’t slip up.

“Aurora, what you’re doing. No one else can. What Topher’s doing… it doesn’t require even half the power,” he argues. I’m not happy about my specific role in this either. I want to be a part of this, not a spectator. Chase knows that, they all do. But apparently that’s not my role this time. I’m not the solider, fighting on the ground. But that’s beside the point. When I press him with his look he sighs. “He won’t.”

“What if he does?” I insist.

Chase takes my face in his palms, urging me to look up into his eyes. “He won’t. But… if he does, I’m fast enough to move unseen. You don’t have to worry.”

His lips crash down on mine, hard and passionate. His tongue sweeps across my lips and into my mouth as my hands grip tightly to his shirt not wanting to let go. I don’t ever want to let go. It’s much too soon when he pulls away, breaking the kiss and I’m left breathless.

“I love you.”

“And I love you. Chase, don’t let anything happen to yourself.”

He smiles.

“Nothing will happen to me, love.”

We don’t say goodbye. I walk away. I don’t bother to look back, because I know he’ll be gone. We were really pushing on the time. He’ll be the last to get into position as it is. Joining up with the rest of the group I can’t miss the nervous energy in the air. Mage’s have begun transferring the group to San Francisco. We’ll be positioned in several areas around the city, specifically mapped out to do the most damage.

“You ready to go?” Arlo asks.

Taking a deep breath, I nod. He clasps our hands together and I squeeze my eyes shut. The sickening falling feeling lasts for less than a second but is enough to cause me to loose my balance. Arlo chuckles but doesn’t let me fall flat on my butt.