Chapter 18

Happy March everyone! Spring is almost here and I can practically smell the ocean! So a bit of news. First, I have finals starting tomorrow and it's pretty much 3 big projects that I've not even started yet. So I'm sorry to say that I might not get the next update done on time. I will certainly try, but obviously my priority this week needs to be my classes. Also, this week was busy and I didn't get to read like at all, so I don't have any shout out at the end of this chapter, but look for it on the next one for sure. Sorry it's a little short. :] Enjoy! 

Chapter 18

“You didn’t come home,” Chase says practically causing me to jump out of my skin. Day one of training just ended and to say we have a ways to go is an understatement. While the shifters and vampires who enjoy physical workouts seems to be in decent shape, the Mysticals have a lot of work to do before they’re ready. Still everyone seemed to end the morning enthusiastically. They would have more training this afternoon and not a single one complained. All are just as eager for revenge and the rest of us.

After handing out the new room assignments, I left and made my way back up to the floor where I’m staying, with every intention of going back to Penny’s room. Of course, Chase had been waiting right outside our room, something I didn’t notice until he spoke, scaring me.

“Are you going to apologize?”

He huffs. “I don’t know that I have anything to apologize for.”

“Did you speak with your parents? Did they tell you their terms?”

“I did. Aurora, their request was… reasonable,” he says emphatically. The words stab through my heart life a knife. My lungs collapse as the air is sucked from them.

“Reasonable?” I ask hating that I sound as hurt as I do. But I can’t help it. I’m having trouble processing what he’s saying. Wasn’t it just a couple days ago that he promised we were forever. It doesn’t make any sense. They had to have lied to him. He nods in response to my question, but does so slowly, looking confused.

“I don’t know what they told you, Chase, but unless you’re actually just ok with ending us forever then they lied.”

“What?” He says suddenly furious. I roll my eyes at the complete 180 in his reaction. He was just so sure that I was the problem. And evidently I am, just not in the way he thought. I push him into our room and using extra force, I push him on to the bed.

“Look at that,” I say triumphantly. “Not sounding so reasonable now, are they? What happened to all the ‘you’re too easily provoked’ and the ‘you blew it, Aurora’?” I demand mimicking his voice dramatically as I throw his words in his face.

“That was before I knew,” he attempts to explain.

“You mean, when refused to let me explain?” I interrupt. He looks down at his hands and frowns. This is that moment I’d been waiting for the one where he realizes what a prick he can be. “Yeah… that groveling can start anytime now.”

I’m ready to enjoy every second of this, but when he looks back at me and his dark silver eyes are shining with sadness I lose my need to rub it in his face any longer. I can sense how betrayed he feels by his own family and despite the fact that he probably knew they were capable of something like this, he didn’t want to believe they would do it to him. Behind his back.

I cross the room and sit on the edge of the bed next to him, reaching over to take his hand in mine.

“I’m sorry,” I tell him and mean it. I don’t like his parents. I don’t think they’re good. But I know he’s respected them, even if he doesn’t agree with them on everything and I hate that they hurt him.