Chapter 30

Wow! It seems strange to be on chapter 30 already! And over 90k words! Inner Predator topped off at just over 100k, but I expect this one to be a little longer. :] Anyway, hope you enjoy this Chapter!

Chapter 30

I stare blankly at Chase for what is possibly an eternity. Rarely have I felt completely speechless, but of all the things I expected Chase to say, this was not it. I really thought it was something like wanting to kill as many humans as possible. That would have been easier to hear. But this... What am I even supposed to do with this information?

"Fetal specimens? What the hell does that even mean?"

"I'm not really sure, I couldn't get behind the door before I was cornered and had to get the hell out."

"Why would they keep something like that? Do you think—"

A knock at the door has both our heads whipping in that direction. I have every intention of ignoring the person at the door and the rest of the world because this conversation right now is more important than anything else. Unfortunately Chase's persistent visitor can't take a hint and knocks again.

"That your mistress?" I tease.

Chase smirks, amused by my comment. He grabs my face in both his hands and slowly brings his lips down on mine. I melt into a puddle of goo as his lips move against mine so familiar and right. He nips my bottom lip just as he breaks the kiss. Leaning his forehead against mine, his hands drop down to my waist.

"Love, even when I didn't know you, even when I thought I should hate you, you were all I could think about. I didn't understand it, I hated it, but you were all I could think about."

"So, even if you didn't remember?"

"I was still in love with you, Aurora," he says. "I just didn't really know it."

The damn knocking sounds against the door, growing more impatient.

"Chase," my father's voice shouts through the door. "I can't find Aurora, have you seen her?"

For a second my face pulls together in confusion before realizing that no one else knows Chase brought me back here instead of the clinic or my room, or that he remembered. Chase flings one of his tee-shirts at me and crosses the room to answer the door. While I pull the shirt over my head, the concerned voice of my father fills the room as he starts question Chase.

"I'm here," I say stepping into the doorway when I'm properly covered. His eyes immediately go to my neck that I'm sure has turned a lovely shade of purple by now and he pales. "I'm ok," I insist immediately.

"No, no you're not," he says barging into the room. He takes my face into his hands and catalogs my eyes, still puffy and red from crying. Lifting my face he inspects the finger shaped bruises decorating my throat. Confirming that I'll live, he releases my face and steps back with narrowed eyes.

"What were you thinking, Aurora, provoking him like that?" He shouts, his fear getting the better of him.

"Dad—" I try to interrupt to explain everything and get him to calm down.

He's not really mad. Okay, maybe he's a little mad. But mostly, he's frightened. Vance is a scary man and not too long ago he was prepared to kill me in front of my father and a rather large group of witnesses. If he hadn't been vindictive enough to do it in the a slow and painfully intimate way, he would have succeeded. So I know my dad needs the benefit of the doubt here. He's spent however long dealing with Vance unable to check on me.