Chapter 7

Hey Lovlies! Sorry this is a day late. I've been a bit under the weather and it made it hard to do much, including write. But I hope you enjoy it (not yet edited) 

Chapter 7

But I do just leave them there. Not forever, I’m not completely heartless. But I choose to avoid any more arguing the next morning by slipping away while Jackson and Penny are still sleeping. It’s just easier. Besides, if I’m lucky I’ll make it there and back before they even wake up. 

Slipping into a Glamour of invisibility, I begin my run. It doesn’t take me long to reach the truck stop. One half is a gas station with small convenient store and the other half of the large building is a diner. My mouth waters the second the smell of bacon reaches me. God I might kill for bacon right now. 

Ignoring the scent isn’t easy. My nose is working on overdrive today as my vampire is attempting to scent out any drop of blood. But I’m still in control. As long as no one starts bleeding. Scanning the parking lot, nothing looks out of place. For an instant, I think that maybe we aren’t being watched. Maybe nobody is looking for us, they gave up and decided to let us just run. Then I see them. Two black suburban’s parked in the lot. The view is obscured by one of the semi-trucks, but the vehicles are obviously out of place. Military. 

Damn. 

Nerves begin to run through my blood and right into my gut. I was really hoping I was just being cautious with this Glamour. I thought maybe no one would be here for us. Maybe they aren’t. Maybe they’re the other men in black, you know the ones who hunt aliens instead of Supernaturals. Doubtful… but maybe. I sneak around to their cars and find them empty which means they’re in the building. 

Awesome.

Unable to drop or change my Glamour with people so close I wait until someone exits through the door and slip in just before it closes behind them. I walk into the convenient store side, though there’s no walls separating the store from the diner and thus the scent of breakfast follows. But some things are more important than food. Like finding out where the fuck we are. 

A cheap postcard rack acts as my personal beacon of hope and I walk toward it and can’t stop the smile from breaking across my face when the first one reads “Mohave Desert.” California. Definitely better than the Sahara. We shouldn’t be too far from route 66 if we could just find our way to the road, because this one definitely isn’t it. 

I toy with the idea of just leaving. Now that we know kind of where we are, it might be possible to find our way to the main road and wait until we are further from the people chasing us before calling for help. But the payphone just outside the door and taunting me. I can’t just turn away and I doubt my travel companions would be very happy if I had the opportunity and let it slide. 

I wonder around the store for a moment until I see a man, a truck driver, walk into the restroom. Not my best plan ever, but I follow him in. I don’t give him time to unzip before grabbing and pushing him into a stall labeled “Out of Order.” 

He starts to yell so I quickly expand my Glamour to include silencing his noise, pleasantly relieved that it works the same on humans. I’ve never tried before so it was a bit of a crapshoot. My fangs come out and there’s little I can do to stop myself. 

There’s little I care to do to stop myself. 

Humans are at the top of my shit list. 

I let my teeth sink into him and groan as his blood spills over my tongue and down my throat. It’s the best thing I’ve tasted in recent memory and I continue to pull, carefully until I hear his heartbeat slow. I don’t want to kill him. Well, I kind of do, but I won’t.