Chapter 9: Contradictions and Candy

I was glad that Drew wasn't a perv. Because if he had been, it would be a lot more awkward and uncomfortable to wake up naked in the bed next to his and find him humming a familiar guitar riff at 7 a.m. while he lay in bed and stared at the ceiling, periodically stuffing his face with nachos.

He had been kind enough to stay out half the night and give us some alone time.

Flynn was still fast asleep. His big, sad eyes were shut and his face had a weird calmness to it. My fingers in his tousled hair. A glorious, soft mess. 

I wasn't sure I wanted to be there when he woke up. Drunken one night stands don't generally lead to great mornings.

If my headache was any indication, this was going to be bad.

Three days back, I got stabbed in the leg and then made out with Flynn. Yesterday the pain got too bad and he was the first person I called. Why? Because he had the alcohol.

Now I had something that classified as progress.

Which meant I was allowed to go back to my room. Provided I could find my clothes without waking him up.

I couldn't find my underwear but my jacket was within reach and I could spot my shorts. Gently, I pulled my fingers out of his hair and sighed. He was something. I didn't care much most days. Today wasn't most days. I was there. In that moment.

I slipped on my jacket and shorts, trying not to move too much and got out of his bed. Grabbing my shoes and phone, I walked out of there. Normally I'd stay and have a conversation with Drew but this would be a little too awkward.

"Jamie?" I heard a voice I'd had quite enough of but nearly not enough of. 

But of course if I just walked away it would seem rude. So I turned on my heel and faced his half naked self. He looked gorgeous. Tired and shabby but still gorgeous.

"I--I thought I should go?"

"Yeah...yeah, you should." He said, glancing back at his room briefly passing a hand through his hair. The hair I'd ruffled up last night.

"Will this make it too awkward?" I asked.

"I don't see why." He shook his head. He was so casual about casual sex? I liked that. The fact that he could take it with such ease. Almost made me wish it hadn't been so casual.

"Great. Uhm--I'm going to slowly walk away now and it won't be awkward." I said with a smiled.

"We're friends, so this is absolutely not awkward." He smiled back.

"For some reason that just puts a very not PG image of you and Drew in my head."

"Oh, absolutely. Drew and I are very not PG" He shrugged.

"Really?"

"No, he says I'm not hot enough for him."

"He's right. He deserves better." I nodded and he laughed.

"Hey, I had fun last night." He called out, now that I was a few feet away.

"Drunk sex? Why on earth would that be fun?" I asked, sarcastically.

"Can't wait for next time." He joked.

"You wish." I laughed.

"I do." Oh. Oh, he does like me.

I put on a bright smile and walked further away. Pleased with myself. Jamie had done it. Officially gotten close to the target. He liked me.

And all it took was a night of hot, messy, fucking and a splitting headache that caused Claire to take over. It took some effort to not think about him.