Chapter 14: Like A Raccoon?

My nerves were on fire. I couldn't think of anything apart from the funeral. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep and I couldn't get myself to think about the journey.

I was up late, working on a paper that I wouldn't have time for later. Chris had checked up on me a couple of times, just to see how I was doing, she even gave me a hug and said she was there and that her and the girls would be more than happy to join me on my trip with Flynn, I said it was something I had to do myself and Flynn was mostly there for protection.

A knock resounded from the door, I paused my music, hoping I didn't have to fake another set of tears, I was officially out.

I was relieved when I opened the door, it was only Drew. Looking a lot more awake than I imagined he would be, gleaming brown eyes.

"Hey," I said, "what are you doing here?"

"Can I come in?" He asked, gently rubbing the day old scruff on his face.

I nodded and let him in.

He took my hand and took me to my bathroom, he ran a tap and looked at me a little different, "Jamie, what are you doing?"

"What?"

"Right, Jamie's going to her mom's funeral because her mom died, my bad. Claire, if I may ask, what the fuck?" His normally calm face was pulled into a tight frown.

"Uh--" I froze. How could he know? Had I slipped? Was he working with Flynn? Was this it?

"You didn't think they'd send you here alone, did you? I'm not supposed to interact with you unless there's no other way out. Your mom is not supposed to die. So what's going on?"

"I--you shouldn't be here."

"No shit. Claire, what were your orders?" He demanded.

"Why do you know my name?" I had to take this one step at a time.

"I just told you, I'm here to make sure you don't fuck up." I couldn't think but it didn't make sense. Why would they send him?

"I don't believe you." It didn't check out. It made no sense at all.

"Who else would have sent me?"

Flynn.

"I don't know, you're scaring me." I said.

"Scaring you? Claire, he's going to figure it out if you take him to a fake funeral." The words put so plainly in front of me made me less sure. The growing anxiety in my stomach seemed to make its way to him because I saw his head shake the slightest bit and it looked liked resigned disappointment like I was used to seeing.

"How do you know?" He couldn't have figured all of this out.

"Because I know he's already suspicious." He said as a matter of fact.

"What?" I could feel the earth shift below my feet. Like an earthquake specially designed for me. Only I felt it.

"Just--look, he's on the phone a lot, he's distracted, he didn't talk about you today until I pushed him to."

"And he usually does?" That was a good sign, right? I had his confidence? His affection?

"Yes."

"Flattering."

"Listen to me, Jamie--Claire, whatever you prefer, don't mess up. Because if he starts getting suspicious you're not the only one who's gonna get fucked, okay?" The pure terror in his eyes was numbing. He looked like a man who hadn't the energy to go through this.

"Hey, it's your job to not get sloppy." I used my voice.

"This is my third college assignment in four years. I could do this in my sleep. But if people start sniffing, if someone like him starts sniffing, I'm done." He was worried. He hadn't prepared for the worst.