Chapter 3: Awkwardness and Fear

"Jamie?" I heard a gentle whisper.

"Do you feel okay?" The whisper resounded again.

"Flynn?"

"Yeah, yeah, it's Flynn, do you feel alright?"

"I'm fine." I said, nodding. I had known him for almost two weeks now. That was enough time to make someone care, right? Maybe not me, but someone?

He had soft features and I had this sudden urge to tug at his dirty blond hair.

My eyes wandered to the clock placed on the other side of the room. It was a tiny room. Bigger than mine but still tiny. At least it looked that way from the bed.

"Are you late for a class?" He asked, running a hand through his hair, as if he almost read Jamie's mind.

"Uh--" I squeezed my eyes shut and tugged at my hair. Frustrated with myself. "Yeah--wh--why am I in your room?" I gasped.

"You didn't want to go to you room, something about your roommate?"

"Right. Chris would freak if she knew I got drunk." She probably wouldn't care. But Jamie would obviously assume it would freak her out. Because Jamie herself was rather unaware of how to deal with this whole situation.

"It's okay, you can stay here as long as you need." He said, offering me a kind smile.

Fuck, he was hot. I felt my cheeks go red as I tried to imagine an embarrassing situation, that involved the two of us.

He was sitting next to me, unaware of what he was supposed to say or do now.

Is it too soon?

It can't be. Okay maybe it is. But I had to go for it. I had to show him that at least some part of me felt something for him. I found myself drawn to him. Argh, I feel stupid right now.

"Thanks, for last night?" I said.

"Yeah, don't worry about it." He whispered.

I looked at him innocently and took in a soft breath. I placed my hand on his shoulder and pulled him closer to myself. He was used to this, wasn't he?

He knew the feeling.

He missed it. He missed loving someone.

I could feel how tense he had grown. This wasn't good. This was not how it was supposed to go! Nope. He was going to find it suspicious.

I pecked his cheek and pulled away. It was too soon. Even the slightest gesture felt awkward and uncomfortable. I sat up hurriedly and passed a hand through my hair smoothing it out a little.

"I--I don't usually drink that much--I--I don't know why I couldn't help myself last night--I--I should go." I stuttered as I got up, clumsily, banging my forehead against his.

"Ow! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" I cried out in pain.

"It's okay, hey, it's okay. I--I was in the way." He said, calming me down a little.

He seemed like the type of person who'd try to calm you down in the most unreal situations--oh wait, that's kind of his job?

Embarrassment surged through my veins. I wasn't a klutz!

"Uh--where's Drew?" I found myself asking.

"Library."

The room rattled with our awkwardness.

Why was everything with him like this?! Why couldn't he be more like anyone else! Not this awkward?

"Hey, do you think it would be okay if I stayed here with you?" He asked.