Chapter 6: Innocent faces don't get in trouble easily

College was never a part of the plan. I didn't recognize the need for it in my life and I didn't think I'd live long enough to actually be in college.

And for the most part, I had been right. In Ace and my line of work we didn't exactly require a degree and technically I was only alive because I agreed to do this stupid mission. Under regular circumstances, I would've never been given this chance and I would've happily accepted my fate.

But Ace happened. Ace brought me back to life. Ace resented the fact that I took this mission. Ace wanted me to be safe. Ace didn't understand that this was the only way for me to be safe. For us to be safe.

In so many ways, Izabelle and I were the same. We both grew up with psychotic father figures, only hers actually cared for her. We both were trained to kill. And we both wanted to live now even though earlier that wasn't part of the plan.

My training had of course, been a little more intense. I had definitely broken more bones. I didn't really have time for anything else. And I had done more jobs. Which means I was good at this. I had done jobs more dangerous than this one.

And yet, this is the one I'm having a breakdown over. Because this is the only one that has made me study advanced economics.

"Stop crying. It's only economic theory."

"I don't get it." I sobbed harder. Gosh, this is embarrassing.

"It's not like you're doing microbiology."

"I don't want to be doing microbiology. But this, I'm supposed to get this!" I had always known economics would be a challenge but it was the closest to being a subject that I actually cared about. Also, because Flynn and I had to have one subject in common. Any more and it would be too obvious and if I didn't share any class with him I wouldn't ever really see him at all. So I was stuck with economics. At least for this semester.

"Maybe coffee will help." I concluded and swiped my hand under my nose wiping away my snot.

"Ugh, yes! Anything to get you out of this room!"

"Your support is astounding." I muttered as I got out of bed. I was not getting out of my PJs. All I did was throw over another layer of warm fluffy clothing and walk out of my room with just enough cash for one black coffee.

I looked awful. From the bruise on my face to my unkempt hair, all the way to my food stained PJs, everything screamed exhausted, which I was. Economics is really fucking hard. I hobbled across campus to the coffee place. The warm insides allowed me to take one layer of warmth off. I wouldn't say it was cold. I just liked being extra cozy. Even though the weather was pleasant and deserved more credit for being kind of great.

I threw my body into one of the chairs and sipped my coffee. It was not strong enough. I still tasted the water. But I didn't care enough to complain about it. Besides I don't think I could? Not as the person I was supposed to be. It wasn't bad. I did need coffee. "Hey." I heard a voice and looked up immediately.

"Hey," I said, expressionless. Too tired to have an expression on my face.

"You don't have to study this early in the semester." He said, taking the seat in front of me.

"I do, actually. Some of us can't cram last minute."

"Right. Of course." He grinned. I hated that grin.

"What are you doing here, Drew?"

"Same as you." He said pointing to my coffee.

"Then go get it."

"Yeah, I will."

"Great." I said.

He bought himself a cup and sat down.