Take a Left Turn in Everything's-Going-to-Hell-Ville

"Ember Anala." Darkett said, "About time we talked again."

Everyone had stopped to watch what played out between Ember the newcomer and the stranger.

Lucas pushed pass Ember and glared at Darkett.

"What are you doing here?" He demanded.

Darkett stared at Ember with his silver eyes. "Ember and I have unfinished business." Darkett winked. Ember blushed as she realized how this was starting to sound. She just hoped Lucas didn't pick up on it.

"Well, all information goes through me. You don't have permission to be in here or speak to Ember." Lucas growled.

Ember frowned and spoke up. "Do you not remember our agreement, Lucas?"

Lucas huffed and turned his glare to her. "Fine! Talk to the jackass for all I care, although I doubt you'll be doing much talking."

Before Ember had a chance to reply to that rude comment, Darkett grabbed her wrist and pulled her into another empty room.

"Oh good room choice! It even has a bed!" Ember heard Lucas yell angrily at the pair.

Men.

Darkett shut the door and turned to face Ember.

"That boy sure is uptight. What's up his ass?" Darkett asked referring to Lucas.

"I don't know. I wouldn't call him a boy though, because you're probably about the same age."

"All too true."

"I would start talking if I were you." Ember narrowed her eyes.

"Where would you like me to start?"

"I don't know. You came to me, but my mother wouldn't be a bad place to start."

Darkett nodded and ran his hand through his hair. "Have you ever heard the name Alyey Keeper?"

Ember thought back to her journal. The journal that was, at the moment, in Lucas's possession. "Maybe."

"You have her journal."

Ember remained expressionless and did not respond. How did Darkett know this?

"And you know Miss Delios?"

Ember nodded.

"Miss Delios happened to be a friend of mine."

"So you know Dune killed her right?" Ember blurted out.

Darkett actually looked surprised, but only for a moment.

"I was aware that she was no longer alive." Darkett said slowly. Suspiciously.

"Oh. So what about Alyey Keeper?"

"She died last year at age 35."

"How?" Ember asked.

Darkett ignored her and continued on. "Nida Anala married Toret Anala after Toret's wife told him that she was in inevitable danger. Toret's wife told him to take the two children and run. She would never see him again. Toret took the children to Helvna and after three years, Nida finally convinced Toret to marry her. Karen was Nida's child. Toret's first wife was Alyey. Alyey Keeper, who is your birth mother."

Darkett didn't give Ember the chance to react. He dived on.

"Now, there was a reason I wanted to talk to you today. You are a very special girl, Ember and there are many things about yourself that you don't even know. I can help you. I'm extending my offer again. Come with me. You'll be safe from Dune and any other danger you're aware of. Please." Darkett's eyes were sharp and devoid of emotion.

Ember was still registering everything that Darkett had said to her. Something seemed off. Besides, Ember had already promised to assist The Rebellion.

"No, I can't." Ember said quietly.

"Can't or won't?"

Ember didn't answer. She didn't need to.

"Well, I guess this is my cue to leave." Darkett sighed. "I will be visiting again shortly and, well, it won't be quite so pleasant, Ember."

Darkett opened the door and walked away.

A few minutes later, Lucas rushed in and gripped Ember's wrist tightly. "Let's go. You have some serious explaining to do."

..............................................................

Lucas, Mindy, and Ember all were in Mindy's office.

Lucas cleared his throat before speaking.

"Our earlier agreement is now void. This is an official interrogation. If you do not answer any question, we will take you to the Testing Chamber. You better hope you don't find out what that is. Understood?"

Ember nodded once. No one trusted her. Ember obviously didn't know much of anything. Darkett had shown her that much. The world was full of assholes.

"Who was the stranger?"

"His name is Darkett." Ember said shortly.

"Okay, but who is he?"

"I don't know!"

"Your cooperation is required." Mindy butted in.

"Lucas, can I trust you to keep a few secrets?" Ember asked Lucas quietly.

Lucas frowned at her and thought for a moment. "Well-"

"No. What I'm going to tell you next MUST stay in between us!" Ember interrupted firmly.

"Yes, you can trust me."

"What about her?" Ember pointed at Mindy.

"Mindy, leave." Lucas ordered. Mindy opened her mouth to argue, but Lucas's facial expression must have made her close it. Mindy left, leaving Ember and Lucas alone. "Alright talk."

"My name is Ember Anala. Yes, I am Dune's sister. No, I am not working with him." Ember continued on and told him what had happened in Helvna. Then, at his request, she transformed into a flickering candle light.

"I can do much more than that, but I'm tired."

"So what about this Darkett person?" Lucas questioned.

"I saw him once when I was in a cell in Helvna. Then, I saw him again right before you rescued me. He's our age, but he has a lot of knowledge about everything. He knows more about me than I do."

"Will he come back?"

"Yes. Soon. And it won't be very pleasant."

It was at precisely the moment that Lucas started to lead Ember to a room for her to rest, that she realized something.

The page of Alyey's journal that Ember had read didn't agree with what Darkett told her.

"Lucas! Where's my stuff? Did you get my stuff?"

"Yes. I found it."

"I completely forgot about it. I need it right now."

Lucas ran off, but came back empty handed. "It's gone."

Ember knew where it was.

Darkett.