𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. loneliness

☾𝐢𝐢𝐢. ═════════

═════════ 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

THE ENTIRETY OF EMILIA'S LIFE had been spent by trying to please people. Her father, her friends, her boyfriends. All of her actions used to be meticulously weighed out, their possible effects on the various people whose feelings she had to care about carefully studied.

Coming-of-age films depict teenagers yearning for independence, reckless and carefree, as being infatuated by newfound liberty. It should've felt liberating for Emilia not to have anybody else's needs to consider.

Instead, she felt more constricted than ever. Choking; drowning instead of floating in velvety water. Cutting all her ties off didn't give her freedom: it lay a heavy weight on her chest that prevented her from breathing properly. Seeing Samuel in class, confused and sad and wondering.

(Wasn't her objective for breaking up with him to prevent him from getting caught up in the murder mess? It clearly didn't work, at least judging by the choni's not-at-all inconspicuos glances at Emilia and Carla.)

God, Carla. She was an even bigger mess than Emilia under her winged eyeliner and straight face. They barely spoke in class, Carla occupied with remorseful thoughts of Christian, Emilia occupied with panicky thoughts of Samuel investigating her probably-not-anymore best friend and finding out about everything.

Sitting next to Carla, it proved impossible to stop thinking about how to hide the truth from Samuel while trying to find it out on her own. And what truth, actually? The only proof Emilia had were paranoid ideas and conspiracy theories. Maybe it really was Nano, and she was just delusional because of her own guilt.

That didn't halt her from acting snappy, uncomfortable and tense around the girl who was supposed to be her best friend.

It wasn't a surprise when Carla moved desks one day and sat next to a girl Emilia was positive she had never spoken a word to. Although a bit awkward, Emilia shot Carla a slight, assurring smile, and welcomed the change with open arms.

It meant she could sit with Ander, who wasn't in the middle of any secret-or-not conflicts, if you didn't count Guzmán, but Guzmán was at a conflict with everyone. Sitting next to the curly-haired boy did make her miserable days lined with regret and loneliness much better.

"Hey. How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine," Emilia assured him. "Just tired," she added, watching Ander's brows fly up, unconvinced.

"Me too. Honestly, I don't get how we were able to train twelve hours a week last school year. Right now, I can't imagine getting home at eight every day and having to do this stupid amount of homework."

Her problems with track practice seemed so meaningless now. Emilia couldn't believe that for a good portion of last year, her biggest issue was some mean girls teasing her about her time for the 800 being longer by twenty seconds. What a joke.