Page 37

Caleb.

The mansion was a distance of 4-5kms from town. Grabbing a couple of drinking water bottles and chips, I headed back.

The thought of Trixie alone in that abandoned house was eating me from inside. I parked the car, which we borrowed from Emma on the street.

There was pin-drop silence when I entered the hallway - not a good sign. I stepped into the living room and noticed towels covered in blood. "What the fuck?"

"I'm fine." Trixie's voice trembled. She sat in the kitchen with her arm extended on the table. A guy, never seen him before, was cleaning several cuts and cigarette burns.

Trixie's entire body shook like a seizure. The right side of her face bruised, scraped and puffy, and her right eye swollen shut. Blood soaked her T-shirt.

"Who the hell are you? And what happened here?" Three steps and I knelt beside her in the kitchen.

She took a long breath as a tear fell from her left eye. "It was my stepfather, and the bastard murdered my father." She shrugged.

Pure anger raged through my body, every muscle tightening, preparing to fight. "When are the police getting here?"

"They're not," said the unknown guy. He placed gauze over a burn and taped around it.

I fought for control. "And why not?" And who the hell are you and what are you doing here.

"Why should we answer you? It's none of your business, and why are you here?" The unknown guy wrapped his hands around Trixie. "Trixie, are you feeling any better?" He gave her a passionate look, which made my core boiling with anger.

"Caleb, meet my old friend Steve. And Steve, this is Caleb, my boyfriend." Trixie replied, giving me an assurance smile.

"Boyfriend!!" Steve must be surprised. "I had no idea that you are in a relationship." He mumbled something, but I didn't pay any attention to it.

"Trixie, Baby. Will, you now please, for god sake, tell me what happened here?" I was getting anxious.

Trixie narrated the whole story, how Robert murdered her dad, and how he wants Trixie's property. How Steve helped her and knew about Robert's deed from the beginning, but wants proof as evidence.

"We have to collect evidence, and before that, I have to find my father's original will. And I'm fucking damn sure, Robert doesn't have it. So that left us with one person, mom." Trixie was seriously considering to catch Robert alone.

"Fine, you go and ask your mother regarding this, and I will keep an eye on Robert. And before he did any harm to your mother, we should reach home." I wanted Trixie to get out of this mansion and from this Steve.

Steve and Trixie agreed to my plan. Saying goodbye to Steve, we left for the airport.

It's midnight when we reached home.

"Baby, close your eyes." I had planned some surprises for Trixie's birthday.

She was too tired to argue with me. Closing her eyes, she pouted in disbelief, making me smile.

I kissed her lips. "Happy eighteenth birthday, baby!!"

"You remembered?" The happiness on her face worths more than a billion-dollar.

"It's your 18th birthday, and it's your day. How can I forget this? And don't get so much excited, I have some more surprises planned for you. So, now you go home, tuck yourself in bed and have some rest. I will see you tomorrow."

We exchanged goodnight and went home.

Trixie.