Page 7

Trixie.

It's been a week, Caleb and I have not faced each other.

While driving to school, I called Emma. She is my best friend from junior school.

"What's up, girl?" asked Emma.

"Caleb Rivers," I said. "He had all week to tell the whole school about my wounds given by my abusive stepfather. What do you think he's waiting for?"

"Maybe he doesn't have anyone to tell."

"Yeah, maybe," I answered. Or maybe he wants to fuck me.

There was a pause from Emma's side.

"What?" I asked.

I had to strain to hear her mumbled answer. "I told Steve."

Every single muscle in my neck tightened, and I released my grip on the steering wheel, terrified I'd rip the plastic to shreds. "You What?"

Coming back to senses, I immediately stopped the car and parked on the side.

"He was standing behind me when you were telling about that night. My phone was on speaker, and he heard everything about your abusive father. So I had to explain him everything." She narrated all in one breath.

My heart pounded in my ears. For almost four years, I had kept this horrible secret, and in one week, two people had forced their way into my nightmare.

And Steve, what he will think about me. Emma introduced me to Steve in junior school. When we shifted from California to New York, these two were my best friends. With years passing, I started having feelings for Steve. But scared of rejection, might break our friendship, I never confessed my feelings. Emma was the only person who knew how much I love Steve. Yet she broke my trust.

When I didn't say anything, she continued," Those wounds are not your fault. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Your mom does and your dad, it's all his fault. Steve already knew, your dad was a freaking moron, and he never told anyone."

"I have got to go." I was mad at her.

Emma planted four-five kisses on the phone as a reminder she'd love me regardless.

I disconnected the call.

The last class of today was gymnastic. After the call with Emma, this morning, I just wanted to go straight to my bed, slip under the cover, and never come out. I made a false excuse to Mr. Peter about my period and was sitting in the resting area of the gym room when someone tapped me from behind.

"Do you mind if I join? I was getting bored from sitting alone when I saw you. By the way, cool tattoo. I always wanted one, but my dad never allowed. He says I am underage for this. Your parents seem supportive. Oh, I forgot, I am Natalie. I have heard a lot about you. My boyfriend, Caleb, is tutoring you."

What? My whole body became paralysed.

With gathering all my guts, I asked, "What all you know about me. I mean, it's only a week I joined here. So rather than rumours, nothing will be exciting."

"He just said that your company is not that bad, not as the rumours flowing around the school. And to tell you the truth, those are some dirty rumours, even for a second I was scared to let Caleb teach you. But I trust him, love him..." Natalie seemed to be a gossip queen. She continued her story about how she fell in love, how Caleb treats her.

But I was relieved, at least from the Caleb side. And Steve, I will explain him everything, later.

The bell rang. The whole period, Natalie was continuously prattling, and thanks to her, I had a distraction from what happened with Emma this morning.

I immediately grabbed my bag and went outside.

"Trixie wait," I heard Natalie's voice following behind me.

While catching her breath, she said, "I forgot, this Saturday, I am throwing my 18th birthday party, and you have to come.

No excuses, nothing." Before I could resist, she waved bye and vanished in seconds.

In the coming weeks, Natalie became my only friend in Westside Senior High School. We started sharing foods with make-ups and clothes. She was fun, and I loved her company.