Page 20

Trixie.

"Are you serious?" I leaned down to Adam's car window, where he sat in the driver's seat, listening to Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul.

"My music is none of your business." He ended the conversation right there and continued staring out onto the track ahead.

Adam was my drug supplier, and he had asked me to join the Loop.

It was Friday night, and we were at the Loop, getting set for Adam's race against Isaac. He was listening to chick music, and I was trying not to laugh.

Not that Cold Hearted wasn't hot as hell, but I need something louder when I zoned in.

I invited Natalie tonight, and when I glanced to the side, where I knew she was standing, I tensed up, seeing her talking to Caleb.

My chest swelled with a rush of heat.

God, I wanted him.

That was it. Plain and simple.

That kiss, our first, was fucking torture, and I wanted more of it.

He had punished me with that kiss. Showing me what he could do to me, what we could do together, and that was just a taste.

Natalie sauntered over to me as I leaned back on the hood of my car. "Hi, ya."

Caleb followed behind her, and I let out a low sigh and averted my eyes to Natalie.

"Hi, yourself." I hugged her, but I had no idea why.

A thick silence filled the air.

But Natalie decided to push.

"And Trixie, this is Caleb," she introduced us sarcastically. "Say hi."

Yeah, we've met.

"And we're ready!" Zack called out from the track, and I looked over to him as everyone started clearing the dirt road where Isaac and Adam would race.

Caleb took a few steps towards the track.

"Ready?" some girl called out from the track.

The crowd yelled as engines revved. Most of them probably had no idea that this was a shit race.

Adam against Isaac Camaro?

Not even close.

"Set?" The girl yelled, but my eyes were glue to Caleb, who had turned to watch the take-off.

"Go!"

Cheers erupted, and everyone's bodies blocked my view of the track as I stayed back against my car. It didn't matter. I knew who was going to win, and there was only one person I wanted to watch right now.

Caleb stood with his back to me, and for once, I didn't have to pry my eyes away. I wasn't guilty about wanting him more, and I was going to look.

The little desires and urges that used to sneak into my head had turned into full-blown fantasies.

"Shit!" Natalie cursed a few feet in front of me." I spilled beer."

Caleb twisted around to see what happened, and the whole world stopped when he found my eyes instead.

That's how he was different from others.

I liked it when he looked at me.

Taking a deep breath and tearing my eyes away, I tore off my jacket and tossed it to Natalie. "Put this on."

"Thanks." She held the cup in one hand and slipped the jacket with the other.

Sparing Caleb another glance, I noticed that his chest rose and fell hard as his eyes spitfire. The desire was gone. His gaze was on Cisco now, who I realized had also been looking at me but turned away as if he'd been caught eyeballing something he shouldn't have.

Isaac and Adam finally rounded the fourth corner, but Adam had a huge gain. Crossing the finish line, the crowd clapped and waved their hands in the air, clearly pleased with their bet and the show.

Caleb smiled down at Natalie. They laughed and talked, looking perfectly comfortable with each other.

"Everyone, clear the road!" I heard Zack shout, and I snapped my head. "Trixie and Roman, get your asses on the starting line."

I ran my hand down my face. Fucking finally.

Walking around and climbing into my car, I started the engine, feeling the thunder under my body. I lived for two things: Tormenting Robert, my stepfather, and tearing the track.

My foot twitched at the feel of the pedal, and my hands had mastered the tactics of my car. I could work the wheel and get the machine to steer, slide, and turn the exact way I needed to.

It was two minutes, once a week, when I loved my life.

My black Mustang(which was once my dad's) was charged, fast, and ultimately me. It was the only thing of my late dad's, which my mother let me keep. When I want to get away from people and get lost, this is the only outlet.

Roman pulled his Trans Am up next to mine, and my fingers tightened on the wheel.

He carried some weight. Some people bet against me tonight in favor of him. Kind of insulting, but it served my needs. The smaller the odds, the bigger the payoff.

"All right!" Zack called out, his voice deep and commanding. "Clear the track for the main event of the evening."

I caught the sight of Caleb, watching me through the rear mirror, and my throat got thick.

A girl sauntered up in front of our cars in her short school-girl skirt and spaghetti strap shirt.

"Ready?" she called out, her eyes sparkling at me.

Come on. Come on. My left knee bobbed while holding the clutch.

No boys, no parents, just me, running from all of them.

"Set?"

Roman and I revved our engines.

"Go!"