Chapter Fifteen; Sweetly Observant

Author's Note; guys, I'm soooo sorry I haven't posted the past few days! A lot has gone on, not only have I been really sick, but on friday my six-month-old puppy got diagnosed with a tumor in his eye, which the vets were 97% sure was malignant (cancer). He had to go in to the vets at half eight in the morning yesterday (saturday) to have his eye removed, which is now being sent away for testing. He's back home now bless him, so hopefully he'll be okay! I'm not really sure why I'm telling you this, but that's my reasoning for not uploading, I've been really upset these past few days. I'll probably delete this note in a few days, aha.

Anyway, enjoy this chapter, and thank-you to MakeAWish_ for the banner on the side, she's so sweet! :-)

Sweetly Yours

Chapter Fifteen; Sweetly Observant

My slumber had been peaceful, refreshing and undisturbed.

After the long, therapeutic hug I’d shared with Jamie, I had opted to go to bed early, extremely tired and anticipating the next morning, when I’d be finally—finally!—be seeing my parents. I had gone into Jamie’s room, flung on his sister’s old pyjamas, and all but collapsed into bed, falling asleep near enough straight away.

The next morning, I woke up slowly, feeling more than just a little groggy. Sitting up straight in bed, I stretched out the muscles in my arms, cracking a few joints in my knuckles satisfyingly as I did so. Blinking rapidly and letting a small, soundless yawn escape from my lips, my shoulders slumped as I fell back down onto the soft, warm pillow, snuggling back into the warm, oh, so very, very comfortable bed covers.

How Jamie ever managed to get out of bed in the mornings—especially to go to school in the early hours—was a complete and utter mystery to me. If this was my bed, I think I’d demand to be home schooled, just so I could lie in bed all day.

I let out a long, contented sig. With my eyes closed shut, a wide smile graced my lips as I suddenly remembered that today was Christmas Eve, and I was going home to my parents, Gabby, Cameron and Cracker. My lovely, amazing family.

I’d missed them so much, and it had only been a measly two days.

This whole experience had really been an eye opener, getting separated from my family and home unwillingly. It made me really appreciate my life a whole lot more, think about how I had previously took it all for granted. I was so lucky and thankful that the Bright’s had took me in. My heart really went out to them, they were so kind to me, and I really did appreciate that.

I stayed burrowed under the covers for a while, just laying there and enjoying the feeling while it lasted—this would be the last time I’d be in Jamie’s bed, and so I might as well enjoy it while it lasts, hey?

My eyes flitted around the room, memorising every little detail as I probably would never return. When my gaze fell upon the window, the curtains drawn tightly shut, I sighed. I should probably check the snow. 

Begrudgingly, I slid out of the covers, padding over to the window and pulling back the curtain with my hand. The thick mass of snow still remained securely stuck to the ground, although not as bad as yesterday, at any rate. A few snowflakes were falling from the sky lazily, taking their time swirling to the ground.

I ran my hands through my straggly hair, briefly glancing at the little flashing clock that stoof on the bedside table.

8:09am.

Well, a few more minutes in bed couldn’t hurt, surely, could it, now?

With a small, wry grin, I all but dove back into the heavenly bed, snuggling back under the thick covers and closing my eyes, the warmth and comfort relaxing me and sending me into a wave of perfect bliss.