Chapter Two; Sweetly Busted

Sweetly Yours

Chapter Two; Sweetly Busted

After recovering for the initial shock of seeing Jamie, it took me a few seconds to process what he had actually said.

Hang on a minute . . .

"What do you mean, 'The Jamie Bright Special'?" I asked quizzically, all of my nerves replaced by confusion, "I thought Kye made it for me?"

Jamie gave his brother a dry look, before turning to face me.

Oh, that gorgeous, perfect, sexy, amazing, sculpted face!

Focus, Farah. Control your hormones.

"There are two things you should know about my brother, Farah," Jamie told me, the sound of my name in his slow, steady voice warming my insides, "one: Kye plus a kitchen equals inevitable disaster, and two: he is the smoothest liar you will ever meet."

"I think I'll take that as a compliment," Kye drawled, a coy grin on his face.

Jamie grinned back cheekily, his gorgeously green eyes holding a spark of mischief,  "what? Being hopeless in a kitchen?"

Kye gave Jamie a look. "You know what I meant, Janey."

"Whatever you say, Kylie," Jamie—or should I say, Janey—retorted; with Kye flipping him off in return. I stifled a laugh, hiding behind my long, straight hair, which was particularly good at acting as my own portable curtain.

"So," Jamie started, "who's Mum on the phone to?"

"My mum," I replied, to which Jamie nodded, sporting an expression of understanding. A silence fell upon us, and so I took another refreshing sip of 'The Jamie Bright Special', which didn't go unnoticed by the boy himself.

"I make pretty good hot chocolate, huh?” Jamie winked, striding through the room and hopping up onto the shop counter, his legs dangling down to the floor.

"Better than ‘pretty good’, actually," I replied, smiling up at the boy who had been my utter fixation for the last few months.

Was this actually happening?

Here I was, having a perfectly normal conversation with my crush, and nothing was going wrong. No stutter, no blush, no awkward silences . . .

But of course, fate couldn’t just keep it that way.

"Well, isn’t someone being a little suck-up?" Kye whispered lowly in my ear, and I jumped in surprise, nearly spilling the delicious hot chocolate I was clutching.

"Hey!" I exclaimed loudly, back-handing his shoulder as he chuckled to himself, "don’t do that, you nearly made me spill all of my drink!"

Kye’s lips twitched, an amused expression painted onto his face. "Don’t you mean your ‘better than pretty good’ drink?" He taunted quietly, so it wouldn’t reach Jamie, his tone cheeky and mischievous.  

I raised my eyebrows, shaking my head. "Shut up. It was a friendly compliment."

"Yeah, yeah," Kye rolled his eyes, and I internally panicked. Was it that obvious I liked Jamie? No, it couldn’t be! It was a perfectly normal, friendly exchange . . . wasn’t it?

Maybe Kye’s just teasing.

I swatted my arm, "oh, just leave me alone."

"What, so you can have a lovely intimate chat with my little brother?" Kye waggled his eyebrows, and I sighed sharply through my nose. Luckily, a quick glance at Jamie showed that he was texting, so the chance of him overhearing us was very slim.