Chapter Four; Sweetly Victorious

Author's Note; gosh, I've been doing a lot of these. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know that in this story, there are a lot of scenes about food. I don't even know how it happened . . . but yeah. I tend to go overboard with the descriptions of the food, too. Ahah. Enjoy! 

Sweetly Yours

Chapter Four; Sweetly Victorious

The sound of a robin singing merrily to itself outside of the window woke me up from my peaceful, dreamless sleep. Slowly, trying my best to suppress the groan that was threatening to emerge, I forced my eyes open, regretting doing so when the harsh white light shone through Jamie's thin, pale curtains, causing me to squint painfully.

I shifted a little under the covers, savouring the warmth and allowing my eyes to flutter shut for another minute, basking in this peace and serenity that was Jamie's bed.

Woah. That sounded pretty weird, although entirely true. It felt like Jamie's mattress was one of those memory foam types, that you sunk into and could stay there for an endless amount of time.

So comfy, I thought to myself, turning my head and opening my eyes again, this time my pupils adjusting quicker. I looked to the left of the bed, where Jamie's bedside table was, and looked at the red digital clock that was sitting there.

8;03am, the grey and black little screen read. I mentally shrugged, not bad, not bad at all.

Usually I'd sleep in until about eleven, because of it being the Christmas holidays, but I tried to convince my mental clock to wake up earlier, because I wasn't in my own house, and waking up and finding myself the last person awake would be extremely embarrassing--a risk I was not willing to take. Thankfully, my body had complied, and I had even compensated by going to bed earlier, at half past nine last night.

Shaking my head from side to side a few times, a morning ritual I did every day to ensure that I was fully awake; I slowly sat up in bed. I stretched my arms up and over my head, pulling out and relieving all of my tired muscles, before suddenly flinging the oh so comfy duvet off of me before I could change my mind. I shivered jerkily as the cold air hit the exposed skin of my arms and legs, the hairs immediately standing up on my arms. Rubbing my hands up and down my arms and shaking my legs in an attempt to warm them up a little, I swivelled in my position, so that my cold legs were dangling off of the side of the bed, my socks sinking into the soft carpet.

One, two, three, I counted up in my head, before standing up with an exaggerated motion. I did this to prevent all the blood rushing to my head and making me dizzy, as had happened countless times before from standing up from bed too quickly. Gabby had told me to do it when I was complaining to her over the phone a few weeks ago, and so far, so good.

I walked the short distance over to the window, gently brushing aside the curtains to reveal the winter wonderland that was the outside world. To my dismay, it didn't look like the snow had eased off last night, as it was thicker than ever. A glimmer of hope sparked inside me however, when I noted that it wasn't snowing right now.

My eyes wandered across the giant trees that were in front of the window, and my gaze fell upon a robin, which was most probably the one singing when I woke up. I watched as it chirped happily on a nearby branch, before spreading out it's tiny wings and taking flight out into the snowy world.

With a sleepy yawn, I let the curtains fall back into place, before approaching the door. I placed the palms of my hands onto the smooth painted wood, before placing my ear onto it too, listening for any signs of life. Last night, I had been so preoccupied dreading waking up later than everyone else, I'd forgot to think about what would happen if I woke up earlier.