Chapter One

Slamming my foot down on the accelerator, I cursed the New York traffic as I weaved in and out of the cars, driving dangerously through the city. I glanced at my watch and confirmed what I already knew; I was late. Slowing my Mercedes down for the millionth time, my eyes bore daggers through the red light in front of me.

Monday morning started off like any other day but sitting in my car waiting for this damn light to change, I knew my day would be ending in a way I was hoping to avoid. I was supposed to be home before six but looking down once again at my watch, I realised it was six-forty. Fuck. I was going to be almost an hour late, considering the two minute route that was left until I reached my house, would take at least ten minutes in this traffic. Day by day, I grew to despise living in the city more and more.

Another quick scan of my watch told me I was in for a grilling tonight. Sighing, I turned the ignition off and stepped out of my car. Pulling the $4000 Armani suit out of the back seat, I pressed the button on my key set to lock my car and then the other button to close the garage door, all the while, juggling a case of Bordeaux under my arm. The sound of my heels against the stone clad floor echoed through the large garage as I bustled towards the side door to my house.

Taking a deep breath, I shakily unlocked the door and walked in. Rogue, my German shepherd, ran to my feet, nuzzling his nose against my leg as I tried to manoeuvre around him and set the wine case down on the kitchen counter.

Bending at the knees, I patted Rogue between his ears. "Hey. Did you miss me?" I spoke softly to the six week old puppy panting at my feet.

"I missed you." My body instantly froze as the deep voice that I knew so well, rumbled in the quiet surrounding. Slowly, I lifted myself back into an upright position, tugging my pencil skirt down at the sides. The heavy footsteps coming towards me made my heart beat a little faster. A big shadow fell over me causing my gaze to remove itself from the floor, trailing up a pair of taut, muscular, bare legs, silk black boxers, defined abs, and a broad chest levelling at the top of my head, to the rugged face that caught my eyes two years ago.

Damian's full lips turned up into a knee-weakening smile. Leaning forward, his head bent down until I felt his hot breath against my ear. At the same time, his strong arm went around my waist and tugged me close into his chest, alighting a tiny gasp to leave my lips.

"Did you miss me?" Damian's husky voice washed over me, while Rogue sat quietly beside my feet. I nodded against his chest, my hands lying flat against his eight-pack, feeling the muscles move with each breath he took. Damian's free hand clasped around mine-the one that held tightly on the hangar of his Armani suit. Tugging it free, he placed it on the kitchen counter next to wine case and then brought his hand back to tip my chin up until I was looking into his eyes."What took you so long, Ava?"

"I-I'm sorry." I whispered. "I left work a few minutes late and there was a hold up at the launderettes."

Damian's eyes studied mine as if searching for anything that told him I might be lying. I held his stare, trying my damned hardest to breathe evenly. Satisfied, Damian nodded then gently brushed his lips over mine. He squeezed my waist before letting go and taking a step back. "Why don't you get dinner ready and I'll set the table?"

My brows scrunched in confusion as I watched Damian pick up his suit and make his way into our bedroom. That was the first time he hadn't gotten upset over me coming home late. Not that I was late often. I was hardly ever late actually. Most days, I would make sure I finished my work quickly and efficiently so that I could leave the office early and get home for six.

Shaking my head of my thoughts, I grabbed the apron hanging beside the fridge and threw it over my neck, tying the string at my lower back. Rogue barked, bringing my attention back to him and nudged his empty food bowl towards me with his head. "Oh, sweetie, I forgot about you."