Chapter Nineteen

Kicking my shoes off, I slumped down into the couch and blew out a breath. Work had been a bore and when things weren’t busy, I tended to feel more tired by the end of the day. Yawning, I got up off the couch and moved to the bathroom. Once I took my makeup off, I threw my hair up and drew myself a bath. I liked to have showers every morning but at least once a week, I enjoyed a bubble bath to just relax. My muscles had been extremely sore lately as I’d been spending more time at the gym so I could see Lincoln often. Sometimes I worked out really hard and other days, the ones where Lincoln had time to get in a workout himself, I didn’t do much. Instead, I watched him as he trained. The way his muscles would contort as he lifted weights and his skin would shine with sweat had me mesmerised. Not to mention his tattoos. God, those tattoos…they were so damn hot, I wanted to trace every line with my tongue whenever I laid eyes on them.

Grabbing a glass of wine and my iPod, I played some soft, soul music and then slipped my robe off and eased myself into the bath. A long sigh let my mouth and my eyes fluttered closed at how good the hot water felt on my skin. It was the beginning of December and temperatures were dropping outside so the warmth was welcoming.       

Thoughts of Lincoln occupied my mind. Our relationship seemed to be getting more serious as the days went by. It was a tad alarming at how fast I fell in love with him after leaving another man. After Damian, I’d told myself not to fall so easily again but I went and did just that. It wasn’t wise but something about Lincoln told me he was different. Going with your instincts could be dangerous but other times, they could work out for the good. Hopefully, this instinct of mine was dead on point. If Lincoln broke my heart, I wouldn’t think I’d be able to come back from it.

I smiled to myself as I thought about my life in that moment. My nightmares had stopped since the day Lincoln and I had come back from Manhattan. I guess the trip was necessary for me to move on. The feeling of being free was nice. I had made good friends and Lincoln was amazing. Cara was safe and she finally broke her grudge with Maddox. They’d been back together for a month now and I was ecstatic for them. Maddox was making plans to move to L.A to open a garage there so that he could be close to her and still work. Everyone in my life seemed happy and in turn, I was happy too. Things were good…really good.

The sound of my phone ringing had me opening my heavy lids. Sitting up slightly in the bath, I reached over and grabbed my phone. Lincoln’s name flashed across the screen.

“Hey.” I greeted, softly.

“Baby.” Lincoln greeted in return, making me smile. My eyes closed again at the deep, gravel in his tone and I bit my lip to keep from moaning. His voice alone made me crazy with lust. It was so velvety smooth yet manly.

“Yes?” I breathed.

“Fuck, you sound like you do when you’re extremely satisfied, Ava.”

“Mm…that’s because I am.”

“Why? What are you doing baby?” Lincoln’s voice dropped lower and I shuddered.

“Having a bath.”

“I just got hard.” He groused and I giggled. “Ava, don’t make that sound. You’re making it worse.”

“Are you still working?” I asked, wanting so desperately to be with him.

“Yeah, babe. Things are slammed today. I’ve had a couple employers off sick so I’ve had to teach extra classes and shit has been chaotic.”

“You won’t be making it in time for dinner are you?” I guessed.

“I don’t think so. I might be here until we close up at eleven.”