Chapter Eight

"That's your car?" Lincoln looked at me in surprise. I laughed at his expression and nodded.

"Yeah, that's my car. It's not that much of a shock, I'm sure. At least this one looks a little feminine. You should have seen the one I had before." Shit, I realised my mistake before it was too late. I didn't want Lincoln to know any details of my past life. As far as I was concerned, it didn't exist.

"You had a fancier car than this one?" Lincoln questioned, shock still remnant in his voice.

"Never mind. It's not really important." I shrugged as Lincoln's brows furrowed. I ignored him and went to open the door but it was locked. "Um, Linc... you aren't planning on keeping me locked in here are you?" I let out a nervous laugh. I could tell his mind was still working to figure out why I dismissed the car thing so quick. A smirk broke out on his face then and he unlocked the door, hopped out and appeared at the passenger side in the next second. Lincoln opened the door and reached in, his hard body brushing my front causing me to hold my breath as he grasped Rogue and set him on his feet, outside. His large hands then went to my waist and he lifted me.

"Watch your head," he said before he pulled me out and set me on my feet too. His hands lingered at my waist before he shifted to close the passenger door. "So..." I could feel Lincoln's stare on me as I rummaged through my purse for my keys.

"So?" My fingers curled around my key set and I took them out of my purse in a hurry, unlocking the doors of my car. My hand went to the door handle, prepared to pull it open when Lincoln covered it with his.

"No thank you?" From the corner of my eye, I could see Lincoln's amused grin. He knew how much he affected me and it pissed me off.

"Thank you." I whispered, my eyes still fixated on his hand covering mine. Lincoln's thumb began to caress the back of my hand, sending a tingly feeling through my skin. In the next moment, I felt his hot breath in my ear.

"The pleasure was all mine, baby." I tensed and tried to turn away but Lincoln held me still. "Just one more thing before you leave, Ava."

"What?"

"I need you to promise me that you won't be going out alone again." My head moved so that I was looking straight at him. I cursed myself mentally, because now, those full lips that were at my ear; were no more than a couple inches from mine.

"I don't see why that would be of concern to you." I replied, quietly. Lincoln's gray eyes, travelled from where they were trained on my lips and focused on my green ones.

"This is a safe town, Ava but you're new here and clearly not familiar with it yet. I don't want you to be lost when you have a fright like you did earlier." God, he was so charming. My opinion of him being an asshole was rapidly fading.

"Wait... how did you know I was new in town?" Lincoln looked at me sheepishly.

"I may or may not have asked Nina a few questions about you this morning."

"What did she tell you?" I snapped and Lincoln's eyes enlarged.

"Wow. I... she didn't really say much." Lincoln removed his hand from mine on the door handle, taking a step back and rubbed the back of his neck. "She was actually pretty vague. She told me you moved here a few weeks ago and basically warned me off you." I released a deep breath and nodded.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you." I apologised quickly, feeling like a major ass. Lincoln relaxed his tense shoulders and moved close to me again.

"That's okay. I shouldn't pry. I just..." His hand extended and tucked my hair behind my ear. "You intrigue me, baby. I want to get to know you more. Your eyes hold something, I can't make sense of. I don't care if I ever do but what I do know is that I want to spend more time with you." I grabbed Lincoln's arm, and slowly moved it back to his side before letting go.