Chapter Fourteen

It was only a matter of time until I had to tell Lincoln about my past. Thankfully, I didn’t have another nightmare while Lincoln was beside me in bed but something else happened a few weeks later which I would probably say was worse.

            I’d left work at five on a Wednesday evening and drove straight to Lincoln’s apartment. He texted me earlier saying that he was making dinner for us and I couldn’t refuse. That man could cook!

            “Hey, baby.” Lincoln greeted me, kissing me for a few seconds long and then pulling back. I smiled at him and Lincoln, the gentleman that he was, proceeded to help me out of my jacket.

            “Mmm, smells so good in here. What are you cooking?”

            “I am making…” Lincoln steered me towards the kitchen with a hand on my lower back, “…a ravioli lasagne. It’s almost done so just sit tight babe.” He told me as he ushered me down on the chair at the kitchen table.

            “Can I help with anything?” Lincoln picked up a wine bottle and two glasses from the countertop by the sink and placed them on the table in front of me.

            “You can pour the wine and sit there looking pretty.” I scowled at him for giving me such a menial task but did it nevertheless. Lincoln let out a deep chuckle before going about his business. Five minutes later, there was a pot dish sitting before the both of us filled with a cheesy ravioli lasagne. Lincoln and I dug in. I moaned at the first bite and then looked up at Lincoln through my lashes and saw the smirk on his face as he watched me. Waving him off with my hand, I carried on scoffing down the delicious lasagne. I wasn’t a shy one and if I was hungry, I didn’t care who was watching me. I ate.

            Lincoln came up behind me, placing his hands on my hips and nipped at my neck. “How many times do I have to tell you? You don’t have to do that, Ava.” I ignored him and carried on washing the dishes. Lincoln sighed into my neck and continued to pepper kisses there. He pulled down my t-shirt to the side, baring my shoulder and licked at the skin there. I stifled a moan and leaned back into his chest.

            “Lincoln stop, I’m almost done.”

            “Leave it.” He said, taking my earlobe between his teeth.

            “You cooked, and I want to clean. It’s fair. Now leave me be, you fiend.” I told him, elbowing him gently in his side. Lincoln grumbled ‘stubborn woman’ under his breath and placed a wet kiss on my cheek. I giggled and wiped my cheek on my shoulder.

            “I gotta make a call to the gym. I’ll be in the bedroom, baby.”

Once all the dishes were wiped down and put back in their places, I made my way to the bedroom. I heard Lincoln’s voice as I moved closer. He didn’t sound too happy. When I got to the door, I caught the last bit of his side of the conversation.

            “I don’t wanna here the fucking word, can’t, come out of your mouth. I’m paying you to do a job and I need fucking results, you hear me?” The person on the other side of the phone said something before Lincoln gave an order of, ‘get it done’ and hung up.

            “Is everything okay?” I asked, as I walked into the bedroom. Lincoln looked up from his phone and immediately replaced his hard frown with a smile. Getting up, he walked to me and pulled me into his body.

            “Yeah, baby, it’s all good.”

            “It didn’t sound too good. Do you need to go into work? You can, if they need you at the gym. I don’t mind.” I said, looking up at Lincoln. He shook his head and kissed me on the forehead.