Chapter Twenty-One

Christmas day, I woke up to breakfast in bed. It was a nice surprise. To tell you the truth, I got a little over-excited. Would you blame me? No one had ever brought me breakfast in bed before and waking up to find Lincoln's handsome face beaming down at me and sitting with a tray of his famous pancakes in front of me, was kind of overwhelming.

"You didn't have to do this, Linc." I gushed as I sat up and he placed it on my lap.

"I like taking care of you, baby." Lincoln smiled and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Thank you." Pulling his head towards me, I pecked him on the lips, lingering a few seconds before moving back. Lincoln shot me his crooked smile again before he excused himself to go into the shower.

As I was eating my breakfast, Lincoln's phone rang on the bedside table. Leaning over, I saw an unfamiliar name flash across the screen. Mike? Lincoln had introduced me to all his friends and I'd never heard him speak of anyone called Mike before. Not thinking anything of it, I let it ring out and carried on eating. Just as I got up to leave the bed, it rang again. Placing the tray on the bed, I walked around to the bedside table to go and pick it up but it stopped ringing before I got there. A text lit up and Lincoln emerged then with a towel around his waist, pulling my attention to him. His hair looked almost black when wet and was dripping water onto his broad shoulders. I licked my lips unintentionally and Lincoln grinned baring his perfectly aligned teeth.

Lincoln winked and walked towards the overnight bag of his on my dressing table chair. He purposely pulled the towel off his waist to tease me and I bit my lip watching his tight butt flex as he walked. I shook my head to rid of the dirty thoughts starting to creep into my brain and looked back at his phone.

"Hey, babe?" I called to Lincoln.

"Yeah?" He replied as he slipped a pair of boxers on.

"Who's Mike?" Lincoln stopped mid-motion and pulled the towel down from where he was drying his hair.

"Where did you hear that name?" He asked in a hard voice. I frowned and then picked up his phone.

"He called you a couple of times." I told him, holding out his phone to him. Lincoln took it from me and looked down at it. I didn't like the expression that took over his face for a quick second but he masked it almost immediately before he looked back at me. "Is he a friend of yours?"

"No." Lincoln clenched his jaw and then proceeded to get changed without another word. Weird.

"Are you going to tell me who he is?" I didn't know why it was important for me to know but the way he was acting had me feeling uneasy. Lincoln glanced at me as he tightened the strings on his sweats.

"He's my uncle." He said and walked out of the bedroom as he pulled a t-shirt over his head. What the fuck? It was frustrating that each passing day; I would get small hints like this that showed me just how much Lincoln was keeping from me. Sighing, I went into the bathroom, deciding not to follow him. He seemed like he needed a few minutes and I wasn't going to push him on anything if he was reluctant to share.

Slipping out of my clothes, I hopped into the shower and stood under the warm stream of water. I planned to ask Lincoln questions about things soon and see if he would open up to me but it was best to let it go for today. It was Christmas and I didn't want it to become a memory of us fighting.

The smell of turkey wafted throughout my apartment. Lincoln had woken up at six in the morning to put it in the oven. He really had an amazing talent for cooking and I was looking forward to having this Christmas dinner. I swiftly moved behind him as he leaned over the cooker, stirring what smelled like gravy. Wrapping my arms around his torso, I placed my cheek on his back. Lincoln's hands went to mine as he untangled me to turn around. After kissing me deeply, he pulled back and gave me an awkward smile.