Mehk's Story

Mehk awoke in his 7ft by 4ft cell. He was a white Labrador Retriever, but the humans called him a Halfling. He sat up and stretched, then looked at his right arm, staring at the robotic replacement for a moment. He rose, turning his attention to the steel door of the room, then raising his eyes to the blinking light of the monitoring camera. He waited for a moment, then pressed the button next to the door, waiting for security to authorize his release from the small room. Finally, the door clicked and swung open. He strolled out, starting down the maze of corridors.

        As he walked, his thoughts drifted to his right eye. Like his arm, there was a mechanical replacement where the original once was. His original eye color was a very dark brown, but upon installing the replacement they programmed the wrong color for the eye, leaving it a dark shade of green. Aside from the color, the replacement looked pretty real.

        He stopped at a door. His eyes flicked over to the sign before taking hold of the doorknob. The sign simply read "Checkup Room". He sighed, opening the door. A human female stood in the room, she glanced over and upon seeing him, her smile vanished replaced by a slight frown. She pointed her pen to the doctors table and Mehk walked over, sitting on the cold metal. She scribbled his name onto a piece of paper, along with a few other pieces of information before putting her pen in her pocket.

        "Hold out your arms," she said in her clearly fake sweet voice. Mehk did so, submitting to the regularity of the weekly binary check. After countless tests, the female clicked her pen, writing down a few more things on her clipboard. Mehk sat still, waiting to be dismissed. The sound of the pen scratching down the results. The female looked up, no longer trying to hide her scowl, "You're dismissed."

        He stood up, walking out of the room calmly. Suddenly, a thought crossed his mind. I need to get out of here. He needed to escape and to do that, he needed to set his plan into action. He grinned as he walked back to his cell, running the plan through his mind. Throughout the last month, Mehk had been gathering supplies, small things that the doctors wouldn't notice. He'd also been taking notes on his surroundings. What time they stopped watching the cameras, blind spots, anything that would help him escape. At the end of the hall outside his cell, there was a window. To get to there he would have to hack the door to his cell.

        As night fell, Mehk prepared his plan. He pretended to be asleep and counted down the time until the cameras weren't watching. Suddenly, he got up. He went to the door and removed the panel of the button controlling the door. He hacked the system, causing the door to swing open. He grinned, nearly smelling freedom. Slipping out of the cell, he made his way to the window. When he reached the window, he looked up. He tore off the electron generator that held the shield in place and leapt out the window, disappearing into the darkness of the vast desert.

        As the sun's rays hit the cold sand, Mehk stopped for a moment, wrapping his mechanical arm in gauze so it wouldn't reflect the light. He pushed on, journeying through the harsh desert. Three days later, Mehk's eyes rested on a small desert oasis. He stumbled forward, struggling to reach the refreshing water. His vision blurred and he collapsed at the waters edge, losing consciousness as the tips of his fingers hit the mysteriously icy water...