Village

Seeing Mehk’s sleeping form, Itna slipped into the cool water. By the time he awoke, Itna was seated next to him wringing out her hair. He stared curiously, “Did I miss something?"

        She shrugged, “You fell asleep. So, I took a quick dip and such." She leaned over and kissed him, “How was your nap?"

        “Not bad, I dreamt about a certain someone." Mehk winked and kissed Itna’s cheek, causing her to purr lightly.

        Changing the subject, Itna spoke excitedly, “Guess what I found while you were asleep?"

        “What?" he asked, intrigued by her enthusiasm.

        “Well, I figured you could use the extra rest, so I went out running and I went a different way than normal and I found it."

        “Found what?" he persisted.

        She smiled brightly, “An abandoned town!" Her purr unknowingly grew louder, “I didn’t check it out yet though, I wanted to wait for you." Mehk nodded. “So whenever you want, we can go explore."

        “How about now?” He suggested, “You seem pretty anxious to see what’s there." Biting her tongue, Itna nodded, trying her best to contain her excitement. “Lead on."

        Looking into the vast desert, she smirked. She looked at Mehk, her eyes narrowed in competition, “Keep up." She then sprinted in the direction she was staring. Caught off-guard, Mehk ran after her, nearly catching up with her. Moments before reaching Itna, he tripped, landing face first in the sand. Itna looked back, skidding to a halt, “Oh my God, are you okay?" He spat out sand, nodding. “Well, I guess we should probably slow down."

        He growled playfully, rising to his feet, “I almost caught-"

        “Mehk, look!" Itna cut him off, pointing towards a building on the horizon. “That’s it! That’s the town!" She smiled, grabbing his hand and leading him towards the buildings anxiously. When they reached the town, Itna finally released him, looking at all the houses, “I wonder what would make them leave such a beautiful village like this and just let it decay."

        Mehk shrugged, wiping the dust of an old railing, “Who knows."

        Itna was drawn to a house on the far side of the village from where they entered. She approached the worn building, the door was broken off it’s hinges, lying on the floor. “That’s odd. I feel like I’ve seen this house before..."