Stepping Up To the Plate

Nikki's POV 

"Hey, mommy is dad even coming?" As James turned around I saw the look of disappointment in his eyes.

"Yeah buddy, he should be here any minute." I picked James and put him on the couch with me.

5 minutes had passed and I knew that John wasn't coming anytime soon. 

Randy came down stairs, "Hey what are you still doing here?" 

James turned around jumped off the couch and jumped into Randy's arms, "Well dad never came..."

Randy's POV 

James buried his head in my shoulder and I could tell he was disappointed that John never showed up.

"Hey, I got an idea how about you, me and Tanner hop on the four-wheelers and go fishing?" James practically jumped out of my arms in excitement. 

"Go grab your helmet and fishing pole and tell Tanner to get his too." I looked at Nikki and she basically had the biggest smile across her face.

Nikki's POV

Randy has stepped up to the plate so many times, he's great with the kids and makes up for all John's mistakes. "I cant believe you would do that for them." I slowly got off the couch and pushed my lips up against his. 

I looked up to see Tanner and James waiting, "Oh sorry guys, James go help Randy gather all the stuff." Nikki gave James a kiss goodbye on the forehead and he gave her a hug back.

"Hey Tanner can I talk to you?" 

"Yeah what's up?" Tanner leaned on the back of the couch.

"I know it's been disappointing, that your dad doesn't show up that often but that doesn't mean he doesn't love you James and Tori." I wrapped him in a warm hug. 

"Yeah I know mom, it's ok you don't have to apologize for him. Alright gotta go so I'll see you for dinner." And my oldest baby went shooting out the door.

John's POV

I was running about hour late but I still had planned on picking up James and Tanner. No one was home so I decide to text Nikki.

N= Nikki 

J= John

J= Where are you guys?

N= Me and Tori and shoe shopping. Why?

J= No not you two, James and Tanner, I'm here to pick them up! 

N= Well you were any hour late, so Randy took them fishing to the pond back aways in the field.

N= John you there?

N= John??

No one takes away the time I get with my kids. I saw a four wheeler on the side of the garage, hopped on and went to go find the pond. 

Nikki's POV

I knew as soon as John didn't respond, it wasn't going to be a pretty sight when I got home. So I tossed the two pairs of Burberrry flip-flops on the check-out counter, paid, and Tori and I made our way to the car. (Tori had a boot on for her ankle not crutches so she could walk much easier now)

Randy's POV 

As soon as I saw a four-wheeler coming our way I knew it was John so I told the kids to go to the four-wheeler and grab some lunch. 

Authors POV

"Randy, what the hell do you think you are doing!!" John leaped off of the four-wheeler and walked closer to Randy. 

"Oh I don't know actually spending time with your kids..." Randy crossed arms.

"Well don't!" John delievered a punch to Randys face, he feel to the ground and was bleeding from his nose and his face. John kicked him in the gut twice, and then Tanner rushed to Randy's side. 

"Dad what are you doing!! He actually wanted to spend time with us..." Tanner yelled at John.

Nikki came up behind John and ran to Randy, "JOHN GET OFF OF MY PROPERTY NOW!!" 

James got scared and ran up to Tori and she picked him up. 

"Ok whatever, but kids I will see you next Friday and I will be on time..." he turned around and walked to his car.