Chapter Thirty Eight

But I've got a plan Why don't you be the artist And make me out of clay Why don't you be the writer And decide the words I say Because I'd rather pretend I'll still be there at the end Only its too hard to ask Won't you try to help me

                                                         --Ellie Goulding, The Writer

The Picture Over There Is Of Ryan, Adrienne's fiancé...Comment on the picture. 

Adrienne’s Point Of View:

I paced up and down the room; eying the ruby necklace that Cole had given me as an apology…He must’ve meant it because this necklace was beautiful. I continuously traced my finger gently over the ruby red heart pendant, clutching lightly onto the silver chain. Then I looked down at the bracelet on my wrist, the one that Jacob had given me, I immediately threw the necklace onto the bed and fiddled with the charms on the bracelet. I wonder what he was doing right now; I bet he’s probably figuring a way out to get me back. I smirked as I closed my eyes and pictured him pacing up and down his room, trying to figure out what to do.

‘Adrienne!’ Cole’s voice knocked me out of my thoughts. ‘Dad wants to see you…’

I nodded meekly and picked up the necklace, quickly clipping around my neck. Cole gave me a shocking look; I shook it off taking a mental note to question him later.

I knew my way to the office on my own, I’d been there too many times. I wondered aimlessly through the corridors as I made my way to the main office. Humming a tune that I didn’t even know, I paused. What is happening to me?-The face of a boy started appearing in my head, he had chestnut hair that swept across his forehead a pair of blue eyes that could dazzle any girl he wanted but for some reason they only wanted to dazzle me.

‘Get out of my head!’ I hissed, banging my head lightly on the corner of the wall.

‘Miss Carter…are you okay?’ a female, kind of familiar voice asked sheepishly. I peeped between the curtain of hair that covered my face. It was Emma, behind her were three guys in black suits but they had their backs to me, as if they were pretending to admire the huge replica of Mona Lisa painting.

‘Yes…’ I hissed, politely. Standing up straight and fixing my hair. ‘I’m fine, thanks Emma’

‘Your father is calling you…are you lost?’ Emma asked, tucking her hair behind her ears. I nodded slowly, I thought I knew the way but I guess I didn’t, I guess that’s what I get for acting like a know-it-all. ‘We’re heading there anyway, come with us…’

‘Um…Okay…’ Emma started, walking again and I walked beside her with the three men following closely behind us. ‘Who are they?’ I whispered to Emma, jerking my thumb towards the three guys behind us.

‘They’re new security guards…two of them will be replacing Clark and Derrick while they continue their training….’ Emma explained, pulling one of the doors open and letting me go first.

What!?’ I gasped. ‘That’s so not fair, I like Clark and Derrick-Why does he insist on changing everything, just because he’s extremely rich he thinks that he can do what the bloody hell he wants!-Pfft-If he thinks I’m actually going to go through with this stupid plan then he’s got next think coming’

‘Oh, Adrienne…’ Emma giggled. ‘You’re so delightful’

‘Thanks…’ I muttered. ‘I’ve been told worse…’

I heard a deep chuckle come from behind me, it sounded so familiar that I almost burst into tears. Emma opened one more door for me to go through. Dad was sitting at his desk and Elizabeth was flicking through a fashion magazine as she sat by the window.