Chapter Thirty Two

You don't have to believe me But the way I, way I see it Next time you point a finger I might have to bend it back Or break it, break it off Next time you point a finger... I'll point you to the mirror.

                                                                      --Paramore, Playing God.

Chapter Thirty-Two:

Adrienne’s Point Of View:

I analyzed this strange man some more, he claimed to be my father-the thing was-he didn’t look a thing like me, I guess that’s what most people say when they are told that they look like one of their relatives. But I didn’t, I arched my eyebrow and the smile on his face broadened, a bead of sweat slid down his face-he’s bluffing.

‘Don’t mess with me’ I warned. ‘That’s like playing with fire-literally’

‘Oh you got me!’ The guy laughed, he placed his hands on his face. It was like he was pulling off some kind of invisible mask. He was pulling his skin off-I was going to turn away when he dropped a wooden mask on the floor and revealed his real face. He was a teenage boy, my age. ‘I’m Cole…I’m very close to your father’

I backed away, running out the kitchen. That was some messed up shit. I grabbed my coat and threw it over my back and pulled on my converses, I opened the front door where a black jeep was parked-next to Betsy, my truck-blocking the opening in the drive way, I turned around to see that Cole was standing behind me.

The windows were tinted, the driver’s window slid down to reveal the same guy Cole looked like in the kitchen, was this guy my father? ‘Look if this is some joke…’ I began but I was interrupted by the strange man in the car.

‘Cole, get in-and bring the girl’ The guy demanded, in an instant I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and lift me up-in normal stories the girls getting kidnapped would allow this but this is no ordinary story-I remembered the moves I’d learnt in self defense when I was eight-mother was determined to get me to learn how to fight so that something like this wouldn’t happen-I stomped on Cole’s foot nice and hard causing him to yelp and loosen his grip on me, I back handed him in the face and he finally let go.

That when I ran for my life, I squeezed through the jeep’s bonnet and the huge rock in my front yard and ran. I had no idea where I was going, all I need to do was run, I wasn’t exactly Usain Bolt but I was good when it came to running. I started waving my hands around frantically as I saw a pair of headlights in front of me. I stopped running when I saw Jacob’s truck come to a halt and Jacob came racing out the truck along with Paul and Seth.

I’d lost my breath and the ability to talk; I placed my hand on my knees and tried to catch my breath. ‘Adrienne, what’s the matter?’ Jacob asked frantically. ‘Why are you breathing like that?’

Jacob can be such a goof at times; I grabbed his arm and brought him down his my level. ‘I’ve just run half a bloody mile-How D’you expect me to breathe?’ I panted, letting go of his shirt.

‘Where were you running to?’ Paul asked. ‘You knew we were coming back…’

‘Yes, Well…There’s a big, black jeep in my front yard’ I sighed, regaining my breathe back.

‘So what you’re trying to say is that you have a phobia of black jeeps?’ Seth asked, crossing his arms as he tried to figure out what I was trying to say.

‘Yes Seth, I’m scared shit-less of jeeps’ I said my voice full of sarcasm. Jacob was getting frustrated. ‘Adie, Just get to the point’ Jacob sighed, he looked really tired.

‘Okay what I’m saying is, I got up out of my bed looking for you so I go into the kitchen to get something to eat but there’s this guy rummaging through my kitchen drawers so I thought it was a burglar and I used air on him and he got scared and used a ball of fire on me, so I used water to protect my hand and caught it and threw it back, then he caught it and threw it back at me again but it was bigger so I dodged it and let it hit the wall but it didn’t make a hole in the wall or anything-just a black stain’ I explain, blabbering.

‘There’s more, right?’ Paul said, looking amazed at the story-mostly sarcasm.

‘Yes!’ I exclaimed. ‘So then I asked the guy who he was, then he was all like, I’m your father Adrienne and then he started laughing and ripping his face off-‘

‘Ripping his face off?’ Seth repeated. ‘What is this Saw?’

‘Shut up, Seth’ I snapped. ‘Then he had the face of this young kid and he said he’s very close to my Dad so it got me thinking that they were together or something…Then I ran out the kitchen and quickly put on my coat and shoes then in my driveway was this big black jeep-‘

‘Is this supposed to be the scary part?’ Seth interrupted.

‘Seth, if you don’t shut up so help me I’ll…’ I seethed, clenching my fists at him. Seth got into the truck. ‘Anyways…there was this big black jeep….’

This time Jacob interrupted by saying. ‘You mean that one?’ I turned around to see the same big, black jeep parked up right in front of me, Cole stepped out the back seat with a rope in his hand, I moved behind Jacob.

‘Yes…That one’ I whispered.