Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“How? I can’t…” I let out a loud sob that shocked my body causing me to jump forward. My breathing was heavy and all I wanted to do was feel the relief as I passed out but it never came. “We can’t…”

“Why not? I would love you for the rest of our lives—for eternity. I don’t think I have ever felt this way about anyone before.” Delron stopped and sighed, rubbing his thumbs in soft, comforting circles on my upper arms. “I love you, Claire, and I would love you till the end of the earth. I choose you over everything, and I regret every moment I have treated you badly. The guilt is like a burn that I can’t get rid of. I want to marry you and cherish you and have beautiful children that look like you but I know that through all this all you want is for me to let you go. So all I ask of you today, is to forgive me.”

My mouth hung agape and my heart had practically slowed to a stop. He was apologising and starting anew. I thought he was too arrogant to admit that he had been low and regretful. It was a blow to the abdomen, something I had never expected and something I had mysteriously wished for. I tried to form a string of words but nothing was coming to mind. The simple task was a lot harder to do when I’m dumbfounded and caught of guard.

Delron’s face began to fall and a scared feeling started in my stomach. Would he hurt me if I denied him once more? Would he kill me if I didn’t forgive him? After all he is violent when upset. I felt my hand was tight because of the crimson blood that stained it, so I forced the words from my mouth trying to make them sound true as I fought through a sea of numbness. I wasn’t sure if I actually believed the words or I was just saving myself from torture.

“I forgive you.”

His perfect lips flashed upwards and a soft laugh left his lips. Delron pulled me too him and he hugged me tightly but carefully. “You don’t know how relieved I am. Thank you, Claire. I promise I will never—ever—do anything to hurt you ever again.”

I wanted to trust him but I couldn’t. He was the King; it was almost definite that he would hurt me again. If I married him I would be signing my death sentence. It didn’t help that my mouth would stay shut in the worst of times. But a part of me wanted to say yes to everything he said, to smile and laugh and love him like he loved me.

I couldn’t though; I have too much to lose. He had been the one that killed Jayson. I was too numb at the moment to take in the full affect of what had happened.

“But I can’t love you. I don’t want to be queen or anything of the sorts,” I croaked with a sob. “I’m sorry but I want to remain a loving daughter in my own home in the town.” His face fell again and I saw a flash of anger cross his eyes. Even now, with fear rushing through my body like adrenaline I still found him attractive. I took a step back but was viciously grabbed back into his arms before I could even blink. I whimpered at the pressure of his fingers on my arms. “Delron, stop. You’re hurting me.”

“Why don’t you love me? I have given you everything,” he growled.

“I’m more than grateful but you have to let me go.”

“No, you’re mine.”

“I’m not yours!” I said sternly breaking him out of his thoughts. “You don’t own me. If you love me, Delron, you’ll let me go.”

“But I love you…” I saw the desperation in his eyes and it made my heart ache.

“I know,” I whispered stroking his face. I was repulsed at my own actions but I couldn’t help but feel comfortable in the gesture. “Please, let my mother and I go. Please.”

He loosened his grip and I jumped out of his grasp. “Thank you.” His head was bowed but I didn’t wait long enough for him to change his mind. I ran inside the castle and didn’t stop until I reached the infirmary. I rushed to my mother’s bedside ignoring the stairs of the other patients.