Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

The guards weren’t as clever as they thought. I could see they saw suspiciously of me as I waited outside the door, twiddling my thumbs and trying to think happy thoughts to stop myself from barging in and dragging Amy out. I hated the idea of Amy being in there alone. She was just a girl and he was an extremely powerful man—a hurt man—someone who could do whatever he wanted and get away with it.

I just hope they’re only discussing the weather.

Amy’s high pitched scream rung out and my hands immediately clutched the handles. A guard pulled them away, obviously following stupid protocol, but that wasn’t enough to stop me. With all the anger burning inside of me I punched the guard sending his head back and smacking into the wall. Another guard went for me but I shoved open the doors and ran inside.

Amy lay on the ground, a large, discoloured welt appearing on her pale cheek. Tears streamed down her face in the millions, dripping down her neck and onto the carpet which she sat. The King stood above her, his face red with fury and his fists clenched. He was harming her, I knew he was going to hurt her, I knew it!

I ran to the girl without a second thought, pulling her sobbing and shaking figure into my arms. I stared up at him, a hateful glare directed straight at him. “How dare you?”

“Stand aside, Claire,” he warned, restraint clear in his voice.

He didn’t want to hurt me.

“No. I will not let you hurt this poor girl,” I cried out. “She’s just a child.”

“She disobeyed me, she needs to be punished.”  He held up his hand high as to hit her but I held mine up in her defence.

“Stop, Delron!” he hesitated for a second. “Please, for me, let her go.”

“What?” he hissed.

“Please, Delron. She didn’t mean whatever she did, Amy’s just afraid, just defending herself.” I pulled us both up to our feet and pushed Amy behind me. “Please.” My chest constricted as I thought desperately. “It is an abomination for a king to do evil, for the throne is made secure by righteousness.”

“What I did was right! Just because you’re quoting the bible doesn’t mean your meaning is thorough. Doesn’t it also say ‘the King’s anger is a herald of death, and one who is wise will appease it’.”

“I’m not wise,” I protested. “Amy go!”

She hesitated but she eventually ran out the door and the guard closed it behind her giving us total privacy.

“You’re stupid, Claire!” he bellowed, “STUPID!”

“Well then maybe I am,” I retorted standing my ground. “But it definitely wasn’t a mistake to reject you.” My eyes widened at my words. I regretted speaking them as soon as they left my mouth, and it was obvious now that is was a massive mistake.

The King grabbed my arms viciously, squeezing so tightly it would leave bruises, and hurled me into the wall. My back stung and I saw black for a few seconds after. The King pressed his body up against mine to trap me and I felt my doom closing in.

“Accepting my love would have been a lot simpler for you, Claire. We could have made love,” he breathed onto my lips grinding his pelvis into mine making me whimper, “I’m a very passionate man, Claire, I would have cherished you forever. But now…” his grip tightened on my arms and I winced trying not to make so much noise. “Now, I’ll have to take it by force.” The King kissed me and sparks flew between my lips. My eyes widened as I tried to make sense of what was happening. He held me there while his lips took control. I tried to fight back but there wasn’t much use—he was way too strong for me.