Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I was welcomed by the comfort of my bed and I swear I slept better than any time in the castle. It was probably because of my longing towards home and finally being here. When I woke I felt refreshed but no better than I did yesterday. I was still here in my home, with a comatose mother and a broken heart. Once I woke I made my bed and organised my new dresses into my closet, which was fairly difficult since my room was small. The jewellery was lain out on my vanity in many boxes but I couldn’t bear to look at them. The King had left me incredibly gifted and I was grateful but what was the point of them? I would wear them and constantly be reminded of what I don’t have, and what doesn’t belong.

The windows were dusty as I looked out and the town grey. I couldn’t see myself fitting in again after everything. I would eventually grow accustomed to what I had seen as normality but I would never fully relax until my mother is awake and well again.

I washed my face and slipped out of my sleeping gown and into a pink silk dress that the King had gifted me with. I felt beautiful in it but it also brought me grief as every moment I wear it, it will constantly remind me of the King. I carried the jug of water into my mother’s bedroom with a few clothes to clean.

I stood in the doorway, staring at her sleeping form. There was only a short amount of time left for her if she didn’t wake up. Her body was wasting away without food and water would only hold her spirit on this earth for so long. But still I put a smile on my face and kept hope in my heart.

“Good morning, mother. It is a rather beautiful day today; it’s unfortunate you cannot see it.” I knelt by her bedside and pulled back the covers. She was pale and frail, her skin looking washed out and sad. I dabbed the cloth into the water and then across her cheeks. It didn’t take long but once I was done cleaning her I replaced the sleeping robe with a fresher one and brushed her hair into a neat plait beside her neck.

With a soft kiss to her forehead and a gentle prayer I left her bedroom to accomplish my chores which after such a long period were in dire need. I watered the plants hanging in the home and on the balcony. I dusted and swept, cleaned the floors and benches and collected some washing. I would go find some fresh fruit and vegetables and meat for dinner tonight but first I will go down the river and clean.

I carried the basket down the local streets and stopped every now and again to look at the markets. I was worried for my mother but Aunt Caroline said she would visit early this morning, not long after I left. People still stared as I walked, and it wasn’t helping me with my nerves. I missed just blending in with the crowd and enjoying a bright day with my mother.

The current was fast today but still low. Rain was expected in a few days even though the sun still shone without a cloud in the sky. I removed my shoes and left them before the bank. I took an item from the basket and rubbed it vigorously against the washboard I had brought. A couple of hours flew by and when I was finished my hands and back were sore and I was grateful for the short walk back home.

“I could have done that for you, niece,” Caroline sighed leaving her tea and making her way towards me.

“It was no bother, aunt, I quite enjoyed some time of normality.” I placed the basket on the stair to hang later on today. “I’m going to the markets, would you like anything?”

“No thank you, my dear, but you must tell me what you want for your birthday coming up. A celebration is being held in the town square at the end of the week. It will be a spectacular night.”

“My birthday...I had completely forgotten, aunt.”

“Go, my dear, I shall bake some bread for tonight. Don’t worry; it shall be fun and welcoming.”