Chapter 1

*EDITED*

Chapter 1

I walked out onto the balcony, dusting my hands on my apron. Flour flew up into the air and danced to the ground. I shut the door behind me letting it creak then click closed. I sighed, relieved that the day was over. I had helped create a whole feast for the 'king' tomorrow. I don't think he is fit for a king. He is evil and harsh but a coward on the inside. He spoilt himself in every way possible, buying expensive clothes and stealing women from around the world so he can have his way with them.

It made me sick to think about him. I leant my arms on the balcony barrier wall feeling the coldness seeping through the thin material. I sighed and rested my chin on my arms feeling the wave of exhaustion wash over me. I smiled to myself, I was feeling satisfied, I had helped my mother from dawn till dusk and I was happy that I did.

I could feel the aches in my muscles and joints yet it was a memorabilia of what I just did. The night was nice though, and the cool air helped me dispose of my troubles.

I heard a rustling below me and I stood up straight. My eyes pinned to the dark, hoping not to see moving shadows below. My ears pricked up hoping to not hear another noise. After a few minutes I let out the breath I had been holding. I put a hand on my chest and laughed feeling stupid for working myself up over a harmless noise like that. Then I heard another yet louder noise coming from below. I took a step away from the edge my heart pounding in my ears. What the hell is going on?

A large bang noise occurred behind me and I could hear loud shouts and curses. I heard my mother's screams as she fought of the intruders. I opened the balcony door slightly, peering through the gap. My throat was constricted as I saw the struggling figure of my mother being hoisted over a man's shoulder. Her hands and legs were bound and a long strip of material wrapped around her head keeping her from crying out.

A scream bubbled its way up my throat but I kept it in, in fear that the intruders would find me. The men were in the 'Kings Men's' uniform, which consisted of a black shirt with 4 large buttons up the left side, black trousers with black boots and a green crest on the right side of the chest. The men were fierce looking and already made me tremble.

I quietly shut the door, tears spilling over my eyes. I held back a sob. Why were they here? Why did the king's men take my mother? She had done nothing wrong! I looked through the window and saw the men searching the rooms getting closer and closer to me. My eyes widened. What was I to do now? I had to get out of here, or find a hiding spot.

But there were none on a balcony. I turned around and saw a man crouching on the barrier, his arms resting on his knees and a blade in his hand.

I screamed at the sight of him, in fright and in horror. The man was tanned and wrinkled with age, yet he looked strong and determined. He wore the same uniform as the intruders. My heart sped up as I panicked. He had a sly look on his face and three scars going over his left eye hidden under a line of hair.

From behind me the door burst open and two men followed through. I jumped in fright. The man hopped off the wall and made his way to me. I looked around in search of something to defend myself with but the balcony was the cleanest I have seen it in ages. I ran to the side and hopped onto the wall. I had almost flung myself from it when the man on the wall grabbed me around the waist.

I screamed in frustration and kicked at him as he pulled me down. I waved my hands about contacting some of the men in my desperate attempts to escape. The man held the blade to my throat and I could feel the sharp edge fit easily there. I dared not wriggle in fear of cutting myself. The man moved his mouth to my ear making me shiver in disgust. I could feel his warm breath that smelt of old smoke.