Chapter 5:

Chapter 5:

“Is it possible for my life to get any worse?” I muttered to myself taking a deep breath. I so wasn’t ready for this, I don’t think anyone would be in my situation.

“You could be dead,” Jayson answered for me reaching for the handle.

“I’m already dead,” I breathed. I nodded to him. Ever since my hopes of escape were abolished I had become dead inside. Why live when I am trapped for the rest of my life with a man who tortured my mother? I would never be ready for what’s going to happen, but there is no way of stopping it. Jayson pushed open the door and held his arm out in front of him, his palm facing the ground.

Butterflies attacked my stomach and my heart pounded in my ears. I placed my hand on his and we walked out into the ballroom. It really was a beautiful place. The light wood underneath my feet was polished to perfection gleaming in the light. Glass, French doors and mirrors were placed next to one another to form the room. The ceiling was high and painted with clouds and cherubs. A large and very beautiful chandelier hung down glittering with dangling crystals and jewels. Above and in between the doors and mirrors were gold walls that with the sunlight seemed to make the room glow. Through the doors lush, green gardens were visible with gardeners trimming the leaves into shapes and animals. I wonder if Annalisa’s father is among them. Further out was a white fountain, water bursting from the top and raining down.

The room was incredibly large with a platform in one of the corners for where the orchestra would play. But what caught my eye the most were all the gorgeous woman standing in front of the king. They were dressed like I was, in expensive clothes and jewellery, their hair pulled into fancy curls and ponytails. Some were overdressed with too many brooches and necklaces, their faces caked in makeup. I guess they really wanted to marry the king.

Guards stood at the edges of room and I couldn’t help but smirk when I saw a few with bandages on cuts and bruises from my attack earlier on. Most people were dressed in light colours but I was one of few in black. When the King heard me enter he smiled brightly at me with another emotion in his eyes. All the woman’s head turned to look at me, some looking jealous and others sad. Their eyes were ringed with red showing the tears that they had shed. I felt sorry for all these woman but if I knew what the king was thinking then they would all be out of here soon enough.

“Clair!” the king’s voice boomed holding out his hand. I took a quick glance at Jayson who stared straight ahead, his posture impeccable, his face emotionless. My smile had disappeared a few seconds ago, probably when I saw the Kings face. Jayson’s hand dropped and he moved to the edge amongst all the other guards. I kept walking, my head held high, no smile on my face and I walked up to the King not taking his hand. His eye twitched but his smile never faltered. He took my hand from my side and held it in his. He squeezed it hard and my knees buckled and hit the floor.

I winced averting my eyes from the group of women staring at me wide eyed. I don’t think they’ll be argumentative anymore. Sparks of pain shot down my arm making me shake. Where did he get this strength from? It felt like my fingers were preparing to break. He eventually let go and I pulled my hand into my lap cradling it. It was red and pins and needle shot through my hand as the circulation returned. Shit!

I got to my feet shooting a nasty glare at the king. I walked to the edge of the group and stood silently. The king chuckled at me before clapping his hands together and making the women jump.

“Hello again, ladies. I hope your stay here so far has been satisfying?” no one answered him. “Good. I have called ally you here to say why you are staying in my kingdom. I didn’t get to say last time due to a certain person interrupting it.” The king glanced at me briefly. “You all are the finest of the village that I rule. Beautiful ladies who deserve so much more than they have and only one of you shall be getting a new life with riches and unlimited presents. One of you shall become my bride.” My head bowed.