Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

Jayson lead me through a short maze and into a clearing that contained the King and some of the women. Half of the women were gone; where could they have gone? Once I joined the group the King stood to attention.

“Now that you all are here, we may begin the next round. The women who did not pass the test were dismissed and only you ten remain.”

What! But I purposely failed the test, I’m sure of it but apparently I passed. He’s cheating. He’s keeping me in the competition because he knows I don’t want to be here. That bastard. I searched through the group and found Amy standing off to the side. I shuffled close to her.

“Did you fail the test?” I whispered.

“I did...but why am I here?” she stuttered back. She hated this place more than I did. She was only a kid, she’s not meant to be here, he can’t marry such a young girl its wrong.

“I don’t know, I failed the test too. I think...I think he’s knows we did it on purpose so he’s keeping us here.”

“But that isn’t fair. You said that if I fail I’ll go home.”

“I know I was wrong. But I think that if we fail all of the tests he’ll have to send us home because that isn’t fair to the other participants.”

“Do you really think so?” she said hopefully.

“We have no other choice....it’s wrong to keep us here against our will. People should be here because they want us to be not because they are selfish kidnappers.” I took a deep breath. “If this doesn’t work...if us failing doesn’t work...I’ll find a way to get you out, I promise.” I looked down at the little girl, holding her hand like a mother would. “I will get you back to your family.”

Amy let out a small breath and smiled. She trusted me....but I didn’t know if that was a bad thing or not.

“My lovely ladies, you are the few contestants still in the running. Just think, by the end of this week you will be my future bride.” Some of the women let of smitten sighs. Sick girls. They have no idea what they are getting themselves into. I was the only person who knew the King for who he was. A terrible, torturous killer. “There are three areas at which you will complete the trials. You will be split into groups and you will have ten minutes at each station to complete it. Once it is done then some people will be eliminated.”

“What if you are injured?” I called out receiving some unwanted glares from some women. It seemed most of the slutty women got through.

The King smiled. “Then you will try your best and if you fail all of the trials you will be eliminated.” Great idea, all we had to do was fain an injury or illness to go home. “But if we find out you’re faking, and I will know if you are lying, you will be punished. And ladies, you do not wish to be punished by me.” I knew exactly what he was talking about. When he did that little tour for me down at the torture chamber...worst moments of my life. “Okay, I want teams of three.”

We all split up and I dragged Amy with me. “Try to seem like you are doing your best but lose. Try to make it seem as real as possible. Good luck.”

“The first area,” he said pointing to a rope that tight to a tree branch very high off the ground. “You are to climb to the very top and ring the bell, if you cannot do that, do not panic, you still have two areas to go.” HE gestured for the first group to go there, there were four in each team. “The second area,” he said pointing to a 200 meter track, “You are to race your three opponents. My guards will be running behind you and I promise if you fall behind too far on purpose they will tackle you. Hint: don’t fall behind because I hear when they tackle, they break bones.”