Before It's Too Late

Callie POV

I took a seat at the kitchen table, We were all sitting down to dinner. Everyone buzzed around the kitchen getting food ready and setting the table. 

Jesus- Where's Brandon?

Lena- Um.. I don't know.

Stef- He had that job interview today.

Mariana- What job?

Stef- Brandon wanted to get a part time job over the summer.

Lena- That's a good idea, he can save some money for college.

We started passing food around and filling up our plates when Brandon came in.

Brandon- Sorry I'm late.

Lena- That's okay.

Stef- How'd it go?

Brandon- Good.. I got the job.

We all congratulated him. 

Stef- We have some more good news.. we got a court date for Callie's adoption.

Callie- Already?

Jude- When is it?

Lena- July Eleventh.

Callie- But that's my birthday.

Stef- We thought it would be special to finalize the adoption the day you turn eighteen.

Lena- Yeah, then we can all come back here afterwards and celebrate. You okay with that Callie?

Callie- Um.. well I'm just not sure if..

Stef- It's gonna be great, we've all waited a long time for this.

After dinner I was at the sink washing dishes. Ever since talking about the adoption at dinner I couldn't stop thinking about it. Talking about getting adopted on my birthday made it feel so real. I had gotten used to the adoption just being an idea.

Mariana- Are you okay?

Mariana was drying dishes beside me.

Callie- Yeah of course, why wouldn't I be?

Mariana- Well you've been washing that same dish for about ten minutes. I have nothing left to dry here.

Callie- Oh.. sorry.

I handed her a dish and went back to washing.

Callie- I was just thinking.

Mariana- About what?

Callie- Just about the adoption.

Mariana- I know, only a few more weeks.

Callie- I'll just be happy to get it over with.

Mariana- Get it over with? I thought you'd be more excited..

Callie- I am.. I am.

Mariana- Really? Because you don't seem excited at all. More like your dreading it.

Brandon POV

I hear a noise downstairs. I made my way downstairs and heard it again, it was coming from the kitchen. I picked up and umbrella at the bottom of the stairs and proceeded cautiously into the kitchen. It was dark but I saw a figure move around the kitchen. I turned the corner and almost collided with Callie who was holding a kitchen knife.