Epilogue

A Year Later

Madison slowly approached the manicured and well cared for grave. She kneeled down in front of it as she laid some roses on it. She read the words engraved on it:

Brian Cohen

April 5, 2002- Oct 18, 2019

Rest in God's loving arms.

She felt herself get choked up at the final line of the engraving. She closed her eyes, thinking of the moment he walked through heaven's gates and was welcomed by the Lord God. How beautiful that must've been. She wished she could've watched it transpire. She opened her eyes, touching the cool metal of the grave. She smiled and spoke:

"I'm sorry it took me so long to come here. Had some major growing up to do," she paused, looking at her wrist, where her scars reminded her of what God had brought her from. She looked back at the grave, more cheerful tears coming. "It wasn't easy. But I'm doing much better now. And May and I are closer than ever. I talk more to my parents too... Yet..." she paused, sobbing a little as his face came to mind. "Yet, I still miss you, bud... May misses you really bad too. And the baseball team hasn't been nearly the same." She wiped her tears away, sitting up.

"I can only imagine though how much of a great time you're having up there. I'm glad. You've earned it. You've really made a difference in me, May, and even Max's lives. Not just while you were with us, but even now that you have left." Madison looked up at the heavens and closed her eyes. Just then a soft breeze blew through her short hair.

"Thank you, God, for taking care of my friend. And thank you for taking care of me. Teach me to be the friend to others that Brian was to me." She sighed and stood, making her way back to the car, where May waited. She smiled at her as she got in. 

May smiled back softly. "You okay?" 

Madison buckled, then nodded thoughtfully. "I've been pushing this off for a long time. Finally visiting it feels like the final page to this chapter." 

May laughed quietly as she pulled out. "Yeah, well, your next chapter starts tonight. We gotta get you home so you can prepare for your big debut." 

Madison laughed, rolling her eyes. "Big debut? It's only a song and a little testimony at a Baptist church." 

May glanced at her, arching one brow. "That's how it starts." 

Madison laughed once again, blushing. She was nervous but was also excited. Excited to share with people what the Lord had done for her.

***

Unfortunately, the excitement left as she sat in the youth room. Nerves had completely taken over. And as sweet as it was, Max and May's hands holding hers did nothing to wield off the nervousness. The youth pastor finished his announcements, then glanced back at where Madison sat. It was almost time. The pastor grinned, looking away.

"Now, tonight we are doing something a little different. One of our own youth has asked to share a song with you guys and little bit about her personal testimony. So, I am honored to welcome Miss Madison Vernon onto the stage." The youth clapped, somewhat bored. She hadn't made much friends in the group outside of Max and his sister.

She swallowed her nerves and stood, making her way to the front. She settled her notebook on the piano and sat on the bench, then turned to look at her fellow youth.

"This is an original song I wrote called 'Monster in My Head'. Enjoy."

Madison took a deep breath and began to play. The music filled the room and created a peaceful atmosphere. She softly began to sing, telling them her story through her lyrics.