Chapter 12 (Edited)

Monday morning, Madison got ready for school with her stomach in knots. Today was going to be her first day at school as Brian's girl. Not only that, but after school, he was coming to their house to talk to her parents about them dating.

She got dressed, being a little pickier with her outfit, spraying a little more perfume than usual. She entered the living room and May smiled at her as she brushed her long hair.

"You look good. You're gonna sit with Brian on the bus, right?" 

Madison flushed. "Uh, no. Don't you two always sit together?" 

May laughed. "Well yeah, but he probably would like to sit next to his girlfriend more." 

Madison shrugged in response, secretly unhappy with the idea. She enjoyed sitting alone on the bus. Watching out the window, listening to music and preparing herself for the day ahead. She was silent though as the bus pulled up and her and May got on.

May sat across the aisle from Brian and Madison slowly made her way to him. He smiled at her in his calming way, making her knotted stomach untie itself. She sat next to him and when the whole bus whistled at them, she grinned, feeling a sudden jolt of courage. She turned and kissed him smack on the cheek, eliciting an even louder response from the students. The bus driver quieted them down as he pulled out. Brian leaned over and whispered in her ear:

"Since when were you so bold and impulsive?" 

Madison giggled. "I have my moments," she replied. 

He grinned and kissed the spot right behind her ear, then her earlobe. He then whispered to her:

"Well, have them more, okay?" 

Madison smiled and looked at him, her ear and neck burning from where he had kissed her. "I'll try." 

His smile softened and he took her hand and turned away. Madison gazed at him a moment, then at his broad shoulder. She bit her lip, nervous. Slowly she scooted closer and hesitantly laid her head on his shoulder. She watched him smile slightly in response and her nerves relaxed.

She closed her eyes and thought to herself that maybe riding with him wouldn't be so bad after all.

***

Madison slid into her seat in Algebra. She smiled at Max as he came in. He smiled back, but it seemed brief.

She waited all class for him to pass her a note like he always did, but one never came. Instead he actually seemed focused on his work and that's when Madison was sure something was wrong.

When class ended, she followed Max into the hall and grabbed his arm. He turned to her and smiled.

"Yes?"

"You alright? You're not acting like yourself." 

He sighed and shrugged, stuffing his hands in his hoodie pockets. "Just tired. Didn't sleep well last night." 

Madison nodded, relieved. "Oh, okay. Well, I hope you feel better soon then."

"Thanks... You're not going to the church again, are you?" 

Madison frowned. "Of course, I'm going. Why?" 

Max grinned, looking at the floor a moment, before returning his eyes to hers. "Madison, you don't think maybe you should sit at lunch with your BOYFRIEND?" Madison's face paled and her expression fell. Max laughed in response. She glared at him. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'll stop," he said, trying to quit laughing. Finally, he regained his composure. "Why don't you just invite him with you to the church?"