CHAPTER 20.3

"Lukas was ready to die

"Lukas was ready to die."

He'd been ready for a long while now and he felt as if he'd finally found a battle worth dying in. No one would blame him for dying because he crossed blades with the Dark Master. It would be a noble death. One that might even spark a fire in his siblings. Perhaps if he died here then in the next thousand years, things might change for the better.

The Twin Blade of Sun was knocked from his grip. Dai was down and Lukas wasn't healing. He didn't think he even had the magic left to heal himself at this point. He coughed and blood was on his tongue. He couldn't see it - he couldn't see much of anything at this point, but he could taste it. Lukas had always hated the taste of blood. He hated the metallic reminder that not even gods were invincible.

What would his sister have done? Would she have caved to her familiar's demands and run? No. Lukas knew her better than to think she would have done something like that. She wouldn't have needed to rely so heavily on her familiar in the first place. She would have just done and done so perfectly. But she never would have run. She would never wish for Lukas to run either. She would tell him to stand his ground and greet death grinning.

After all... it was only a thousand years. All gods had to die at some point, after all. It was just his time. Besides... it would be nice. The way his siblings spoke of it, death was a nice thing. It offered peace of mind and body. And when he returned from it, he would feel whole once more. Fresh. New.

The Dark Master kicked him. Lukas hadn't realized it, but his body was trying to stand back up all on its own. Lukas rolled, tumbling across snow and ash and dirt - a tomb of his own design. How fitting he should die here, surrounded by what was meant to make both him and Dai strong. How fitting because it was proof that no matter where they fought, they'd never be able to beat someone - something - like the Dark Master.

"You are ever so odd," the Dark Master said, slowly.

"Why- why's that?" Lukas wheezed. His vision was slowly clearing, giving him a painting of the rich blue sky. How nice was that.

"You are just as much my brother as Dai but I can't feel any remorse for this," the Dark Master said, angling his sword above Lukas's throat. "The only explanation I can find is that you must have too much of our mother in you. Pity."

Lukas gritted his teeth, trying to dream up some epic last words. About how he was the one that pitied the Dark Master for being so cold and alone and cruel. Or how being like Mother wasn't as awful as being like him. Or something like that but worse. Lukas wanted to say something that would hurt and haunt but nothing but the gurgling of blood came from his lips.

The Dark Master frowned and tilted his head. It was such a familiar gesture, Lukas had to do a double take. Dai... Dai really was his brother, a son of Moon, wasn't he?

Stupid.

And then, there was a voice. It sounded wrong, though Lukas wasn't sure why. It was too loud and too soft all at once. It was a voice that echoed with layer upon layer of familiarity. It was a voice he knew. And it was a voice that the Dark Master knew as well. He froze, the Twin Blade of Moon clattering to the ground.

"The cast of constellations convenes over thine soul," Dai said in a voice that only half belonged to him. He was standing but wilted, weak, and he'd only just regrown the skin on his neck, which most likely made talking very difficult. Yet he was casting something. His hands were spread apart, a frosty web forming between them.

"Dai," the Dark Master said in a warning tone. "What are you doing?"

"Thine conflict is unbefitting of thine divine roll," Dai said. Who was the other person speaking? A woman? It sounded like a woman but... who? Lukas was certain he knew her. His hands twisted, weaving something with the frost webbing. "The earth aches where thou set foot. The heavens wail when thou cursed blade burns."

"Dai," the Dark Master said again. This time, there was more panic in his voice. "You aren't doing this to me. I'm your brother."

"It is for these sins, we find thou guilty of the highest crime."

"Dai! Please!"

Lukas sat up just in time to watch Dai's web become complete, but it was burning so brightly, just as brightly as any of the stars that Lukas couldn't make out its shape. It just seemed to grow larger and larger until in enveloped both Dai and the Dark Master. Lukas tried to call out but he couldn't. More blood splattered on his trousers as the light burst up into the sky, arching over the horizon.

And then Dai was standing there. All alone. And then, he faltered and fell into the dirt beside Lukas.

They were both filthy and horribly injured but for reasons Lukas couldn't comprehend, they were both alive as well. Alive. The thought weighed heavy on Lukas. They were alive. He had never expected them to come out alive. What had happened to the Dark Master? What had Dai done to him.

So many questions burned inside of Lukas but... he still couldn't ask them and it wasn't as if Dai was in any position to answer yet either. Instead the pair heaved on the shadowy side of a mountain in the ashes of a village that Lukas had been the one to burn. Instead the pair sucked in ash and snow and focused on one, singular thought.

They were alive. And that was enough for a moment.

But then the moment ended.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This is the last "chapter" per sae but I will be posting an epilogue tomorrow, followed by a long author's note/goodbye and some bonus content for making it this far!

Thank you guys for all of your support!