CHAPTER 15.1

One day you will lead us to

the last living land

And what if I can't?

You will.

You will lead us far away

from these wild woods.

~Holy Texts of Amaryllis

_________________________________

"His heart threatened to tear from his chest

"His heart threatened to tear from his chest."

"What are you doing in these woods, little Lukas?" Victoria asked, staring at Lukas with shadows flickering through her eyes. "I didn't think mother liked you straying too far from her side," she said, narrowing her eyes. "What are you doing in the Wild Woods with a Mutare and a Lekki?" she asked, though she already knew. "That's why you asked for the familiar spell, isn't it? You want to find the Rose Book."

Lukas looked away, scowling. "It's none of your concern," he said, pushing past his sister and leaving Dai and Honey to follow. However, Victoria grabbed his hand, her eyes glowing.

"Come," she said, giving Lukas little choice before dragging him into the light.

The world blurred and smeared as Lukas was pulled through the light into a grand council room. Lukas stumbled backward, disorientated as he saw both Victoria and her familiar standing before him. There was the sound of something crashing as Lukas spun around to see a frantic Dai standing behind him with wide eyes and hair standing on end.

"Did you have to bring him?" Lukas snapped.

"I didn't bring him," Victoria said, narrowing her eyes. "He's your familiar. He has to follow you wherever you go," she said, as though this was the most obvious thing ever.

"Right, right, of course. Let's just drag people to the heavens," Lukas said, rolling his eyes. The heavens were perhaps the last place he wanted Dai to be right now. The heavens were the last place he wanted to be.

"Heavens?" Dai asked, squinting his eyes and looking around. "This place is filled with great evil."

For once Lukas agreed with Dai.

Victoria sneered. "Such a loud familiar," she said, marching up to Dai and grabbing his face, forcing his mouth open. "Lukas here's your problem. You didn't cut his tongue out," she said, pursing her lips. "I can rip it out right now if you want," she said.

Panic flared through Dai's eyes as he clenched his jaw, snapping down on Victoria's fingers. The goddess's eyes flashed with rage as she pulled her hand from Dai's mouth, two of her fingers missing. The muscle and bone regrew in an instant as she clenched her jaw, muttering ancient curses as she struck Dai, knocking him to the floor.