CHAPTER 11.3

"Time blurred around him

"Time blurred around him."

The world was fuzzy and Dai's head ached as he tried to force himself up but Dai couldn't tell where he was anymore. Yet, it was warm. Comforting and soothing. For a moment Dai let himself just lay there. He was still exhausted and he could use a short break.

He closed his eyes and his mind go blank. The pain was ebbing but Dai still didn't want to move. His body felt numb. Yet he couldn't remember why. He could remember standing against Lukas and then he remembered summoning the Twin Blade of Shadow.

The blade.

Dai jerked up, snapping his eyes open as he looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings. He had no memory of coming to this place, yet it still looked vaguely familiar, as if he had been here once before. He seemed to be in a tent of sorts, its walls made up of a thick red fabric and a small fire burning in the center.

Dai found himself lying on a makeshift bed, with others surrounding him. He noticed many of them were Mutare, their bodies coated with burns, with just a single Lekki lying closest to the fire. Dai stumbled to his feet, rushing to Honey as fear filled his body.

She was trembling, her body coated with burns. Dai's own breath was shaky as he laid a hand on her, his frost spreading across her body and healing the burns. Honey's breathing steadied, but her eyes remained shut as a slight smile spread across the Lekki's lips.

Dai sighed in relief, thankful that she was alive and knowing it was his fault that she had gotten hurt. It was his fault that they all had gotten hurt. When Honey had told him to stop Lukas, Dai doubted this was what she had in mind. Yet Dai knew it was the best way to stop him even if it left them with minor wounds.

"So you've finally awoken, old friend," a familiar voice said. Dai's own face betrayed his shock when he finally turned around to face the once beautiful woman. However, she had aged, as years and years passed by and her beauty had melted away, leaving her face lacking beauty but never kindness or wisdom.

"Danna," Dai said, a soft smile on his lips as he faced the woman. She with neither Mutare or Lekki, but something in between. Halflings, they were called if a Mutare was being kind. The Lekki simply referred to them as vagabonds. "You have aged," he commented and the woman let out a slight chuckle.

"And I see you have not," she said. "Much has changed since you were last here," she said, her smile finally fading. "Much of that is thanks to you, but we are finally being accepted in both of our homelands," the Halfling woman who went by the name of Danna said.

"That is good," Dai said, dipping his head to the older woman, the highest sign of respect to the Mutare. Danna's face flushed, as she turned away. "Where are we?" he asked looking around.

"In a tent," the Halfling hummed, amusement glittering in her dark blue eyes. "And they call you the wisest Mutare in all of the lands," she said, smiling.