CHAPTER 10.1

He made us a promise
He said he would always care for us
He said he'd bring us victory
We pray that his victory is swift
We pray that his victory is soon
We pray to the Balance Goddess

~Song of the Woods

_________________________________

"The silence was so thick it threatened to kill

"The silence was so thick it threatened to kill."

The Raven Sisters couldn't move as shock froze their feet in place. The very Mutare they had been hunting had just walked into their line of vision, a sword in each hand. It quickly became clear to the Raven Sisters that he had not come to surrender. 

The younger of the two sisters could feel her heart pounding in her chest. Had she been wrong? Had Dai truly known about them following him since even before they had been given the mission? Surely he had at least a few still loyal to him at the Keep. The younger sister might even consider herself among them. She admired Dai and his strength.

"Well?" Dai asked, his tone warm but his eyes cold, like two shards of ice dusted with a sparkling gold and lips locked in a firm line. "Are you going to answer me?" he asked.

"M-milord," the younger of the two Raven Sisters said, dipping her head. An action the elder hesitantly followed. "We have come to save you from the god," she said, looking back up, noting the light blush that had made its way across Dai's cheeks.

"Bliss, Sia, no need for formalities," Dai said, giving the two Raven Sisters his own embarrassed dip of his head. "I've known you two since you were children," he said. "It's been forever, huh? My congratulations on your promotion," he said, grinning. "Lieutenants right? I still remember your braids, Sia," he said. "And you've cut your hair Bliss!"

"I go by Alysia now," the elder sister said, coldly, in response to Dai's use of her old nickname, as the younger turned away to hide her embarrassment. "I've grown up some since we last spoke, Daivid, but it seems you're still just as much as a child as ever," she snapped.

"Sister!" Bliss protested.

"It's fine," Dai said with a shrug. "You said you came to save me from the god, right?" he asked, tilting his head. "Then what?" he asked.

"Your brother is looking for you," Alysia said, and that was when Dai's smile turned into a smirk. His grip tightened on the hilt of the two swords he held as he walked closer to the Raven Sisters, who had yet to draw their own blades.

"That's where problem is," Dai said. "If he wants me that badly then he should've come himself," he said. "Tell him that for me, won't you?" he asked.

"If you intend on fighting us, you will lose," Alysia said, her voice cold, unsheathing her own sword her lips locked in a scowl. "That way you can see just how much I've grown up," she said. Bliss slowly drew her own sword, telling herself over and over that they were just following orders. "The Wild Woods needs its Ice Prince," she said.