CHAPTER 14.3

"The trees seemed to go still in their wake

"The trees seemed to go still in their wake."

Honey was struggling to keep up with Lukas's quick pace. He seemed to be brooding about something or another, while Dai danced through the trees. None of them spoke and Honey missed the vagabond camp. They had sent them off with bags of food and well wishes. Or, they sent Dai and Honey off with food and well wishes. The vagabonds seemed rather glad that Lukas was leaving.

All three of them held a deep connection with the Wild Woods. It was the homeland of Honey's mother, the place Dai had spent the past thousand years, and the land Lukas had been fighting against. And in this place, it seemed that everyone had a long memory.

Blood stained the forest floor that they walked above and poisoned the air that they breathed. Honey took a gulp of the poison, drunk on its memories as a cracking sound occurred from above and Dai came tumbling out of the tree. He landed on his feet, just like a cat in that aspect, but wasn't so lucky when a branch fell on top of him.

"Stop playing around," Lukas said, walking past the fallen Mutare. "We can't afford any more delays."

Dai lifted his head off the ground as Honey offered him a hand up. He accepted, but once he was off the ground, Honey saw that he was not unscathed. The tree limb had punctured his stomach and was sticking straight through his gut. Dai looked down with large, unblinking eyes. "Would you look at that," he murmured.

"Are you okay?" Honey asked, her eyes wide with alarm.

Shrugging, Dai simply pulled the stick out of his gut and Honey noted the golden blood that coated it. The wound, however, closed in an instant. Of course. Dai had healing magic. So getting stabbed with swords and sticks was no big deal for him. "Hey Lukas," Dai called. "I stabbed myself with a stick. Wanna see?"

"No," Lukas said, not turning back.

"Healing magic's pretty useful, isn't it?" Honey asked, though her eyes drifted to the scar on Dai's cheek. How had he gotten that when any wound he had closed within heartbeats.

"Extremely," Dai said. "Not everyone can use it, though," he said. "Bet Lukas can't."

Lukas froze in the middle of the path, turning around to glare at Dai. "I can too!" he snapped, whirling back around but not before Honey caught sight of his bright red cheeks. "I'm a god. A master of all forms of magic," he said, crossing his arms. Dai and Honey exchanged a disbelieving glance, but it was Dai who lifted the stick he had stabbed himself with and pierced it through Lukas's shoulder.

In an instant, the stick burst into flames as Lukas let out a cry of pain. Dai retracted a flaming arm quickly, muttering curses as his skin withered into ash. But in half a second the flesh grew back, just as good as new. The same could not be said for Lukas. His shoulder was bleeding as he turned with furious eyes.

"What is wrong with you?" he snapped.

"What's wrong with you?" Dai hissed back. "You burnted my arm off."